Homestore + More - The Date - Directed by Ciar

• Premium Member

A commercial I shot in September was released today and I thought that it would be interesting to post it here as it has a mix of "things that the client wanted" and "things that we wanted" on a really tight budget.

Directed by Ciarán Dooley, the commercial is a 2 minutes commercial for a company called Homestore + More which sells House thingies such as cutlery, ornaments, towels, etc here in Ireland and it tells the story of an elderly widow who is urged to seek companionship by her loving grandson

Everybody had a clear vision of what they wanted to do for the campaign as they had shot 2 commercials already for the brand when I came on board so it was great to be able to enter a group of people who had been working together for such a long time and getting great results.

Our guidelines for the commercial were "naturalistic and uplifting cinematography mixed with a bit of melancholy and nostalgia" and I think that we achieved it.

Ciarán wanted to shoot wide shots to show the loneliness of the woman and we found really great spots in our location, that, mixed with two days of really good weather and scheduling some key shots at the right times of the day worked great for the tone we wanted to create.

I also wanted to give him the freedom to shoot 180º at any time as our 2 day schedule was really really really tight.

90% of it is natural light by the way, except the kitchen, which had to go from "normal" to "happy" because it was the place where we saw all the products from Homestore and the bedroom, lit with a 2.5K through a couple of frames of diffusion from outside.

It has gotten great reactions already.

Shot on Alexa Plus + Panavision Primos at T2.8 / T4

Lighting Rental Company: Cine Electric Ireland

Colour: Elements Post Production

Hope you like it! :)

Thank you!

• Premium Member

Thank you Dom and Samuel!

Unfortunately film was not an option due to numerous reasons, two of them being the cost of it + shipping to London and the impossibility of editing straight away after finishing the day.

Next time.. ! ;)

Have a lovely day!