Lighting Kitchen Interior - Christmas Winter Feel

Hi again everyone. Not really a question this time but would wanted to show my lighting plan for an upcoming project to get some feedback. I have attached my lighting plan...

The talent will be talking to camera and cooking. The background will be dressed with Christmas decorations and what not to celebrate the coming season. I want the lighting to be very soft and cold, to have that winter feel. I'm shooting it all in daytime. I'm using an M18 through the left window (only window our too the left) through a bed sheet which will highlight the background and rim our talent. The other M18 is inside in front of the talent which will be my key for her. I plan to bounce it and have the light come through another bedsheet to get it softer. For the fill, I will bounce it in from my M18 sources. I guess actually I do have a proper question. Would you recommend an Arri Skypanel S30C through multiple diffusion instead of the M18 inside? The kitchen is very small so I did think at one point maybe I should go for that instead. The shoot will start early and end before sunset. Anyways any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

post-64108-0-81983700-1511112875_thumb.png

Edited by Daniel O'Flaherty

• Premium Member

Hi Daniel,

First of all, if your location is facing south you might have problems with the sun entering through the window, if that's the case, get a black solid and make a black tent so your light keeps consistent all day long and the sun doesn't interfere.

Regarding your question, I would go for the Skypanel S60.. mainly because of the size of the location.

If you had a big space so your frame could be properly filled with the bounce of the M18, I would go for it but if it is not going to be properly filled and you have to start flagging off the spill of the bounce, I would go for the Skypanel because it takes less space, it is easier to move so you can adjust it super quickly IF you don't like how it is lighting her face AND it is more powerful than the 30C :D

I lit that with 2 x 6ks from outside through 1 x 4x4 frame of 1/2 diffusion and a 6 meters x 6 meters Grid Cloth silk (on the windows).

The close ups were keyed with a Select / Celeb (I don't remember) through a 6x6 frame diffusion just right outside of the frame just so you see how powerful the Select / Celeb are.. and the Skypanel 60C is way punchier than the Selects.

201819.png

I lit the above one with a Skypanel 60C (dimmed to a 50% if I remember correctly) through LOADS of Diffusion perfectly filled and a 3 meters x 3 meters frame (almost perfectly filled ha!) with light grid cloth the closest to the actress I could have it.. the ambience is natural light, which was the sun hitting the space we were in laterally.

The other thing is.. regarding the bounce, I suppose that it goes with personal taste but I wouldn't bounce the light at all as I like a bit of contrast.. however, you could actually use the polyboard from that side but behind her to give her a bit of a light from behind. I wouldn't do it either but that's just my taste! :D

By the way.. get No Color Straw gel for your HMIs!, the quality of the light will be less electrical (the 6Ks from the youtube commercial I posted had that gel on.. and I use it every single time that I use a HMI)

Post the results!!! :)

Have a lovely day!

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Daniel,

First of all, if your location is facing south you might have problems with the sun entering through the window, if that's the case, get a black solid and make a black tent so your light keeps consistent all day long and the sun doesn't interfere.

Regarding your question, I would go for the Skypanel S60.. mainly because of the size of the location.

If you had a big space so your frame could be properly filled with the bounce of the M18, I would go for it but if it is not going to be properly filled and you have to start flagging off the spill of the bounce, I would go for the Skypanel because it takes less space, it is easier to move so you can adjust it super quickly IF you don't like how it is lighting her face AND it is more powerful than the 30C :D

I lit that with 2 x 6ks from outside through 1 x 4x4 frame of 1/2 diffusion and a 6 meters x 6 meters Grid Cloth silk (on the windows).

The close ups were keyed with a Select / Celeb (I don't remember) through a 6x6 frame diffusion just right outside of the frame just so you see how powerful the Select / Celeb are.. and the Skypanel 60C is way punchier than the Selects.

201819.png

I lit the above one with a Skypanel 60C (dimmed to a 50% if I remember correctly) through LOADS of Diffusion perfectly filled and a 3 meters x 3 meters frame (almost perfectly filled ha!) with light grid cloth the closest to the actress I could have it.. the ambience is natural light, which was the sun hitting the space we were in laterally.

The other thing is.. regarding the bounce, I suppose that it goes with personal taste but I wouldn't bounce the light at all as I like a bit of contrast.. however, you could actually use the polyboard from that side but behind her to give her a bit of a light from behind. I wouldn't do it either but that's just my taste! :D

By the way.. get No Color Straw gel for your HMIs!, the quality of the light will be less electrical (the 6Ks from the youtube commercial I posted had that gel on.. and I use it every single time that I use a HMI)

Post the results!!! :)

Have a lovely day!

Hi Daniel . I really love your "

" commercial. could you tell me what camera and lens set up also did you use any kind of filter in camera to get that soft look? Thanks

• Premium Member

Even though the question is already answered via pm I will put it here too just in case somebody else is looking for that answer at some stage.

I used Alexa + Master Prime lenses and Black Diffusion FX filters on "The Complete Natural" commercial.

Have a lovely day.

• 1 month later...

Hi Miguel! So sorry for the late response I tried to reply ages ago but had so much trouble with attaching pictures on the site. The shoot went very well, thanks so much for your input. I got an Arri 60-C Sky Panel & an M18 instead of 2x M18's. Really happy I did as by the pictures that were shared with me the room I was filming in looked a lot bigger to put a light down to bounce but once I got there & saw it I could see it was going to be an issue (especially that all the clients, etc where huddled alongside in the room), so really glad the Skypanel was on me.

Here is a link to the finished piece if anyone is interested seeing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=790tCS-Jgts

Thanks for the advice Miguel!

P.S. if someone can tell me why when I put in the link to a video the actual video does not show up, but rather you have to click on the link. Same with attaching your pictures on your hard drive. So difficult for me to find these solutions atm. Thanks!

• Premium Member

Hi Miguel! So sorry for the late response I tried to reply ages ago but had so much trouble with attaching pictures on the site. The shoot went very well, thanks so much for your input. I got an Arri 60-C Sky Panel & an M18 instead of 2x M18's. Really happy I did as by the pictures that were shared with me the room I was filming in looked a lot bigger to put a light down to bounce but once I got there & saw it I could see it was going to be an issue (especially that all the clients, etc where huddled alongside in the room), so really glad the Skypanel was on me.

Here is a link to the finished piece if anyone is interested seeing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=790tCS-Jgts

Thanks for the advice Miguel!

Looks good!

Glad I could help! Skypanels are fantastic for small spaces!!

If you want to attach pictures you have to upload them first to an Image space host such as Flicker (for example), after you have done that you have to get the link for Internet Forum Sharing or similar and paste it over here.

Have a lovely day!