Advice on Run & Gun setup

Killian Lassabliere

Hi guys,

In a few weeks I’ll be shooting a skate video that’s taking place in the street of Paris at night. We can have access to “better” gear than what I’m currently used to as the project is backed by a production company; which is why I would love some advice.

It’s going to be a one night run and gun type shoot, we’ll be using a gimbal for most of it. We’ll have to rely on the available streetlight (paris christmas lights).

We’ll be using anamorphic lenses to really get the most out of those Christmas street lights.

So with all these parameters I need come up with a relatively “light weight” setup that can still perform well in low light.

So far I’m thinking of a combo : ARRI MINI / LOMO ANAMORPHIC / MOVI M10 ( + wireless follow focus ).

Anyone out there that has shot on a similar “run and gun” setup who would be happy to share their knowledge ? Considering that this would be my first time with an Arri camera is there anything that I should look out for ? And finally would you guys recommend any other camera / setup ? ( as a B-choice )

In the meantime I’m doing research online but nothing beats real experience !

Thanks in advance,

• Premium Member

For an Alexa Mini you might be better off with an M15 or Pro.

Are you thinking of roundfront Lomos, or squarefronts? Round fronts are better lenses but long and front heavy, and the only options under 50mm are humongous, not very suitable for a Movi. You could look into Kowas which are about as lightweight and compact as possible, or Panavision C or G series if budget allows. None of these are particularly fast lenses, might be worth testing wide open if that's how you'll shoot, anamorphics can get pretty funky wide open.

Thank you so much for the answers !

For an Alexa Mini you might be better off with an M15 or Pro.

Are you thinking of roundfront Lomos, or squarefronts? Round fronts are better lenses but long and front heavy, and the only options under 50mm are humongous, not very suitable for a Movi. You could look into Kowas which are about as lightweight and compact as possible, or Panavision C or G series if budget allows. None of these are particularly fast lenses, might be worth testing wide open if that's how you'll shoot, anamorphics can get pretty funky wide open.

I was thinking about the roundfront ones.

At first I thought about the Kowas but after watching a few test/review they seemed to get really soft wide open. And then I saw that article of the wandering dp where he's using the Lomos on a Ronin / run and gun setup. http://wanderingdp.com/podcast/wandering-dp-podcast-episode-100-road/

I think the best would be to compare them at the rental place.

• Premium Member

Yes it's definitely worth testing them. I think roundfront Lomos are better than Kowas, but it really depends on how well they are set up. I recently spent a few hours adjusting a set of subhired Kowas that were way out of tolerance, and would have been terribly soft wide open, but once back-focus was correctly set, and the 50mm anamorphic elements properly aligned the set was quite nice. The assistant was actually shocked at how good they were, I think he'd been burned by this set before.

You could go roundfront Lomos for 50mm and above and maybe get a 30 or 35mm square front if you need a wide.