Why do Film Gates have rounded corners?

Sean DelGatto

I have never been able to find the answer as to why film gates have rounded corners. The question pops up when ever a 16mm gate is widened to super 16. But I generally cannot find the answer. the only possible reason I could think of is if its trivial to have right angles and speeds up the machining processes after milling, not to have to go in and clean up the corners.

Any Ideas anyone?

• Premium Member

I wouldn't say all film gates have rounded corners.

post-46614-0-57033600-1511831327_thumb.jpg post-46614-0-24271100-1511831360_thumb.jpg

A small amount of rounding isn't going to affect the final image which was always cropped in a little. I imagine cheaper cameras may have had more rounding due to the ease of machining, as you mentioned.

@ Don - Love learning stuff like that. I'm not only into cinematography but love film history, already been to Chaplin studios. One of the things I just notice, that while, as you pointed out, not all gates have rounded corners. Whenever I'm doing research, typically you do see them. Just was wondering if any film camera history guys happened to know the answer. I'm just going to have to settle with that it sped up manufacturing process. A machinist asked me when he was expanding my gate to Super 16 if he needed to keep the corners round, he asked me why they were, and I just didn't know.