Nikon D3300, should I go for it?

Jihed Ben Hammadi

Hi,

I found this in a local store in Tunisia :

http://www.tunisianet.com.tn/appareils-photos-numerique/17442-reflex-numerique-nikon-d3300-objectif-nikkor-18-55mm-trepied.html

Nikon D3300 + Tripod + AF-S NIKKOR 18-55 mm

All for 1496 Tunisian Dinar which is equivalent to 596 US Dollars.

I'm a beginner and I want to start being a filmmaker instead of just dreaming and contemplating.

Is D3300 good?

I can afford that price.

Do you know if there are any defects?

And if you have other alternatives in the same price range, please feel free to suggest.

Thanks in Advance.

Hi,

I found this in a local store in Tunisia :

http://www.tunisianet.com.tn/appareils-photos-numerique/17442-reflex-numerique-nikon-d3300-objectif-nikkor-18-55mm-trepied.html

Nikon D3300 + Tripod + AF-S NIKKOR 18-55 mm

All for 1496 Tunisian Dinar which is equivalent to 596 US Dollars.

I'm a beginner and I want to start being a filmmaker instead of just dreaming and contemplating.

Is D3300 good?

I can afford that price.

Do you know if there are any defects?

And if you have other alternatives in the same price range, please feel free to suggest.

Thanks in Advance.

Nikon DSLRs in this price range lack:

- Focus peaking for razor sharp manual focus

- The ability to change aperture in Live View (video) mode

- a built in intervalometer for time lapse

- a usable viewfinder when you switch to Live View

- compatibility with silent, video optimized lenses

Nikons are good cameras but in that price range, I often see recommendations for the Panasonic G6. Since you are a beginner, check out channel DSLRGuide on Youtube, that guy talks about this kind of stuff a lot. And he uses a Canon T3i which is cheaper than that Nikon.

• Upvote 1

If you're going for a DSLR/mirrorless and you want to do serious video with it, there are really only a few cameras you should spend any money on:

GH4 (still a good camera), under $1,000 new.

GH5 (even better than the GH4, under $2,000 new)

A7S (good in low-light, but lacks 10-bit output or recording, over $2,000).

Other than these - some of the cameras can work pretty well, but they all lack adequate video features in my opinion. Some of the lower-priced Panasonics are okay, but for example the GH series is the only one you can monitor externally with while recording.

Edited by Landon D. Parks
  • Upvote 1

Hey Jihed, how are you. Excuse me if I disagree with Landon (which opinions I really respect in this forum) but to me a DSLR in that prize is totally worth it if you are learning. You don't have to spend $2.000 dollars for start learning about how a camera works, and for filmmaking. Besides, I believe some times people in USA or the UK forget that in another parts of the world, 2.000 is pretty much an years work or even more, because for that people a dollar not worth a dollar, but a lot more.

Now, about you question, there are a big dilema about canon vs nikon. In my opinion, the cameras are very similar, but to me is canon for two reason. First of all, at least in my country, you can find more way options to canon lenses that to nikon lenses. Yes, you can buy an adaptar, but some times they are at least that expensive like a cheap lens, so to me that's an important factor. The second one is that nikon to me is the same taking pictures, but to filmming hasn't all the options that canon has, like the entry of the audio system, or some customization that they aren't the difference in the world, but they are better in the canon system. I have friends with both cameras (nikon d3300 and canons t5i and t3i) and to me the canon ones are more intuitive. But that is a matter of taste.

OH MAN, sorry, I miss a really important matter. The d3300 can't move the LSD screen in the back (like the canons t3i) that's really bad!! Because some times you need to put the camera on the ground or in a high place and you need to see what's in the screen. For video that's a MUST, trust me. I'm sure that nikon has models with a flip LSD screen, in canon you can find the t5i and another ones too.

OH MAN, sorry, I miss a really important matter. The d3300 can't move the LSD screen in the back (like the canons t3i) that's really bad!! Because some times you need to put the camera on the ground or in a high place and you need to see what's in the screen. For video that's a MUST, trust me. I'm sure that nikon has models with a flip LSD screen, in canon you can find the t5i and another ones too.

If you really need the LSD screen, make sure youre in a safe place with good friends around you...

Jihed, I let you a page in which you can compare between a lot of cameras and quickly you can find you which is better in which field.

http://www.neocamera.com/camera_compare.php

Check about the item "display position" and search for "rotating", not "fixed".

Bye!

Edited by Giacomo Girolamo

My take on this is that while lower-budget cameras can work, you'll quickly find yourself outgrowing them. I'd rather spend $800 ONCE to acquire a camera I can use for years to come, rather than spend $500 now, and then a year down the road have to sell it and spend $800 on a camera.

If your budget is low, I'd strongly suggest the GH4. New, it can be had for under $1,000 - used, around $600-$700. It's a steal for a camera that has the potential to record 10-bit 4:2:2 Vlog images in Cinema 4k format. It won't do this 'out of the box', but it is a good camera to build on later when you need the features. I Still use the GH4 on a regular basis as my 'A' cam, and I'm perfectly happy with it.

The biggest problem with lower budget cameras is that, while you can certainly learn on them, they don't always have the features that you really need to learn to become good. That is just my opinion of course, and others opinions are just as valid. It's really down to what you want to do, and how you see yourself doing it a year down the road. If you don't know that you want to be into filmmaking, don't invest $1,000's of dollars in gear before you have had a chance to try it out.

• 1 month later...

Nikon D3300 is an ok camera, perhaps one of the best DSLRs for video at that price point. (as it shares the same sensor as the Nikon D5200)

BUT..... mirrorless has taken the lead over DSLRs.

I'd suggest instead you look at say a secondhand Panasonic G7 (or if on a very tight budget, a Panasonic G6 or Panasonic GH2).

https://www.eoshd.com/2013/02/nikon-d5200-review/

https://www.eoshd.com/2013/02/nikon-d5200-vs-canon-5d-mark-iii/