Elvis "look"

Sam Goetz

I'm shooting a 16mm short about an open mic singer who is enfatuated with Elivs. The director wants extreme color saturation and contrast, which I was going to achieve by overexposing 1 to 2 stops and printing down (telecine) or pushing 1 stop with out compensating exposure wise. We're going to be using stage lights and only stage lights so we'll probably need a higher film speed, somewhere around 500, I suppose. I was thinking of using Vision 1 500T(7279).

But what I really want to know is how I might achieve a gold-ish hue to the film. I'm not talking about a gold filter, which puts a yellow happy sunrise feel to a scene, what I want is almost bronze-ish. Like gold the metal. Like an Elvis impersonator, rediculously flashy, and covered in gold. I was thinking a yellow-ish filter in combination with a 1/2 skip-bleach might help, but then I'd lose the saturation. There's a lot of black and white still photography out there that gives skin a shiny metallic feel. Is there something that could help me achieve this effect in color, leaning towards gold, and with motion picture film?

Any comments would be appreciated, thanks,

Sam

p.s. I was also thinking of using a star filter to help emphasize the sparkles on my main characters costume. Should I worry about screwing up the flares I will be getting from the stage lights? Is there a good star filter anyone reccomends?

p.s.s. ALSO, thinking of using a smoke machine to create ciggarette smoke in the club. Is there a less annoying technique?