Why I won't be buying a new camera

Samuel Berger

So my Spring indie film project is officially canceled, as are any camera purchases that I had been pondering the last few weeks, and I'm glad I didn't buy that Ursa Mini Pro. In fact I will likely be selling a lot of my small format film equipment very soon, at a loss, if I'm lucky to find a buyer. Even one of my prized ZC-1000's will hit the auction block.

The reason for all this is that I have just found out it's finally time to plan on leaving this damp, rainy hellhole where the sun never shines and go back to L.A. with the wife and two kids, and I'll need all the money I have and don't have, to make this move happen. I expect we will be doing this in May. You know, the usual, move to a hotel for a month while looking for a place to rent.

But ultimately, in L.A. I won't feel the need to spend the money on camera stuff. Over there, what I can't borrow I can rent.

Wish me luck, and hopefully my suffering in this grey, wet, misty swamp will be over soon...

Wish me luck, and hopefully my suffering in this grey, wet, misty swamp will be over soon...

Good luck! But personally, I love Washington and Oregon. There is nothing like the majestic old growth forests, huge waterfalls, and some of the greenest greenery I have ever seen. It's just stunningly beautiful.

• Premium Member

I don't know your situation very well but I think it will be the right decision.
and if you have already lived in the LA you have lots of contacts there to help you out so will be no problem when you'll find a good apartment for your family :)

Good luck and let us hear if you have some great old cameras which need a new home ^_^

Thanks all! Right now it's looking like June is the earliest I can leave because the kids' school year won't end until then. I'm hoping I don't end up in Lancaster or Palmdale, but if I do it's just for a year...Valencia is what I'm aiming for. It will be interesting to see if we can get jobs that will allow us to have money to rent a house there.

I should start listing stuff soon. I have a Beaulieu 6008 Pro serviced and modified by Bjorn Andersson, that will probably be the first thing... never used it...Lots of Super 8 and 16mm stuff. I just need money for the move.

It will be hard to get what I paid for the stuff, maybe impossible, but I have a feeling I need to not sell it too cheap.

When I read your headline I thought perhaps you were going to say something about the speed at which the market changes technology. After reading your post, good luck! I used to live in Valencia. I biggest tip for finding a place out there might be; try finding a place that's near the freeway. I used to live smack dab in the middle of Santa Clarita there and it would take forever just to get to the freeway. I used to commute to burbank every day for work, it was 15 min to the freeway and 15 down the freeway. Anyway you'll hear a lot of Los Angelenos talk about the traffic haha!

Also, not sure if you can wait a while but maybe you would have a larger community to sell your equipment to if you waited to sell when getting here. Safe travels!