New Kodak (US) Super 8 prices 2018 - $ 29.99 /each

Maik Lobborn

Kodak has announced the new Super 8 prices for 2018.

The prices did increase by $4.03 to $29.99 each cart

See here

https://www.kodak.com/uploadedFiles/Motion/Products/Product_Information/Product_Change_Notice/Price-Change-Bulletin-Super8-eff120180101.pdf

However, no Ektachrome 100D mentioned yet. According to John Schwind, who is usually very well informed, 100D is expected to cost approx. $35. See his post here (bottom of the page)

http://www.filmshooting.com/scripts/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27272&sid=97553de8e271d304f66887bc27130deb

Edited by Maik Lobborn

It was $10 to ship the order!

I added ten carts of varying ISO to my shopping basket and then I saw it totaled $269. Then I started thinking, why am I doing this? I'm overpaying for a filmstock I don't really love because it can't be projected, when I'm trying to save money for moving. I guess I'll pay more for it later but right now I'll wait for Ektachrome.

Also, last time I ordered from Kodak it took ten days to get the carts.

Ultimately, I only use Super 8 when the lighting situation is such that Single 8 Provie 100D won't be enough. So I guess I'm temporarily out of the hobby.

Jeez I can't tell if Kodak is trying to revive Super 8 or kill it off! Raising prices again after they just bumped up Tri-X in the fall. Infuriating. They should be doing their best to lower prices. Might have to put in some orders before the shops catch on but that is a hefty pricetag.

I had to do some soul searching before getting into Super 8 due to the high prices of everything. And now a week into it, the prices are going up.

I have perfect timing!

If you're going to do any serious production, it's fine to use the negative stock, but overall I like the reversal better for home movies and hobbyist stuff. I prefer not to pay the additional cost of telecine for everything I shoot.

Jeez I can't tell if Kodak is trying to revive Super 8 or kill it off! Raising prices again after they just bumped up Tri-X in the fall. Infuriating. They should be doing their best to lower prices. Might have to put in some orders before the shops catch on but that is a hefty pricetag.

What do you generally stock up on? I used to stock up on Ektachrome and before that, Kodachrome. I don't think I ever stocked up on Super 8 negative before.

What do you generally stock up on? I used to stock up on Ektachrome and before that, Kodachrome. I don't think I ever stocked up on Super 8 negative before.

As linked in the other thread, I shoot a decent amount of weddings on Super 8 film so I use the full spread of negative and black and white stocks often. I do use color reversal for personal stuff when I can (just shot 4 rolls of Ektachrome in Patagonia! Also have 5 Provia rolls from Tak in the freezer) but it's a bit expensive and hard to find that stock. Plus I get all my rolls scanned anyways for sharing online. I do have a projector as well that I love.

So given that I've shot around 40-50 rolls/year for the last few years, stocking up on negative has potential to save me a few hundred dollars.

As linked in the other thread, I shoot a decent amount of weddings on Super 8 film so I use the full spread of negative and black and white stocks often. I do use color reversal for personal stuff when I can (just shot 4 rolls of Ektachrome in Patagonia! Also have 5 Provia rolls from Tak in the freezer) but it's a bit expensive and hard to find that stock. Plus I get all my rolls scanned anyways for sharing online. I do have a projector as well that I love.

So given that I've shot around 40-50 rolls/year for the last few years, stocking up on negative has potential to save me a few hundred dollars.

I think I'll go ahead and stock up on 500T and 200T since they don't list 250D as an option. I already use Tri-X in 16mm for my Filmo DR-70 and still have a lot of Plus-X Super 8 that I never got to use.

I'll stick to Provie 100D for daylight. I love the colours!

It still has the old price on their website?

If you order 3-4 rolls, the shipping is free.

Oops! Just checked that out, and it looks like no more free shipping. :(

Must have changed that from last week.

Edited by Tim Smyth

So what I ended up doing was stocking up on 200T and 500T. And that's it. I'm done buying until Ektachrome comes out, and it had better be at least as good as it used to be. Otherwise there's no incentive for me to use anything but Single 8.

On the other hand, when Ektachrome comes out I'll be buying it regularly and will probably join a group buy for the 16mm version. I love being able to project my stuff.

I've just remembered something: Ektachrome used to be cheaper than Super 8 negative film. So maybe it won't cost $35, since negative is going to cost about $30.

It was a few dollars cheaper. Vision2 was $15.00 when it came out in 2004, about half of what it is now. Color reversal was about $13. It would make sense for it to be cheaper since reversal is where more beginners will start.

These days, I'm just glad they are still making film to use! Anyhow....even at the new prices, it's still better than seeing the older discontinued filmstock selling in the $50 to $100 range per cartridge. It might be advisable for a few to go in on a large purchase and divvy up the stock, and get the lower quantity price rate. I hope eventually I can get the film in bulk for spooling down myself here in the lab. I guess we'll all know soon enough once the film becomes available. Being a much smaller company now, KODAK doesn't have the same ability to sell film cheap like it once was. Knowledgeable technicians also don't come cheap, as so many had retired off in recent years. And lastly, like it or not, film based photography and cinematography is somewhat of a niche market these days. I do thank KODAK for their support of our passions!

• Upvote 1

I don't think they give discounts for larger orders, but will do special orders for larger minimal quantities. I heard they will sell 35mm rolls of unperfed Ektachrome with a minimum order of $30,000. Maybe places like Spectra, John Schwind, or Wittner will order and perf 16mm, DS8, or R8?

I don't think they give discounts for larger orders, but will do special orders for larger minimal quantities. I heard they will sell 35mm rolls of unperfed Ektachrome with a minimum order of $30,000. Maybe places like Spectra, John Schwind, or Wittner will order and perf 16mm, DS8, or R8?

Anything like this is welcome. However I'm sure there's a market for 16mm Ektachrome directly manufactured by Kodak, and it'll be obviously cheaper. As for R8, it would be fairly easy for other people to reperforate and resell. Not possible for DS8, but how many use this format ?

Looking forward so much for the new Ektachrome :rolleyes:

Edited by Doug Palmer

Not possible for DS8, but how many use this format ?

DS8 has been without a color film since 2012. I sold my DS8 Scoopic because all you can get are Orwo or Ilford B&W stocks. A lot of hungry DS8 cameras sitting in people hands out there for some color film. If the new Ekta lives up to it's expectations, 16mm would be out of this world. I think they are playing it safe by letting independents cut and perf other formats. If bulk orders start churning out substantial 16mm or DS8 to the market, Kodak may follow suit and package it themselves?

• 2 weeks later...

The online store prices have been updated. Darn it. I didn't see this coming, but 16mm Tri-X went from $38 to $44. I thought only Super 8 was going up in price so I didn't stock up. Infuriating.

This is a major price hike. I have no idea how they think they'll keep people buying film.

Edited by Samuel Berger

The online store prices have been updated. Darn it. I didn't see this coming, but 16mm Tri-X went from $38 to $44. I thought only Super 8 was going up in price so I didn't stock up. Infuriating.

This is a major price hike. I have no idea how they think they'll keep people buying film.

In an ironic way these increases help people like Ferrania and Foma. But for small filmshooters any increase is obviously bad. I hope Kodak isn't under an illusion that analogue's current return is stronger than reality.