Beaulieu 4008 Filter Key

Roger Haney

I just got a Beaulieu filter key for my Bealliau 4008. It has been converted to an external battery; so I'm not sure what else has been done to it. I installed the filter key; expecting to see the filter retract; but saw nothing. I tried it in two other 4008's i am working on and still saw no filter retraction. Am I just not seeing the filter retract; or are there other factors at play here?

The BEAULIEU 4008 Filter Key moves a small lever in the slot, which you can see if you look in there with a light source. This moves the sliding carriage which contains both the UV Filter and the Wratten 85A Filter. You won't notice a change in the viewfinder since the filter assembly is behind the shutter but in front of the film gate. If your BEAULIEU is the 4008II or later version, you can bump the shutter via moving the synch shaft with a small slotted screwdriver, otherwise open the film chamber,remove the lens from the camera, run the camera with a light source behind the film gate and you'll see that the filter has moved out of position. This is base assuming all is well and that you pushed the Filter Key in deep enough. There is significant resistance when the key hits the peg to move the filter assembly, so push firmly to make sure it's all the way in. IF still nothing happens, it could mean there is some damage to this peg assembly, or the filter has popped out of its carriage and is just sitting there. Usually it's that the Filter Key wasn't pushed in all the way. Good luck!