Can anyone identify this mattbox ?

This ia a 3inch x 3 inch mattbox ( presumably Arri ? ). Had it for years and I fitted a central bracket so it can be used on mattbars.

But does anyone know what camera it was originally designed to fit via the off centre square bracket. ? (its not aaton)post-4780-0-45203000-1517923795_thumb.jpg

I had an Arri bellows matte box like this with my Aaton LTR as supplied by ICE films. The matte box was intended for the Arri SR but they made some changes to fit it on the Aaton , but I later had the later Aaton lightweight support bar system fitted to the camera, since their square system never really worked..

Edited by Brian Drysdale

Yes Brian, I had the lightweight bars fitted too. But the offset of this mattbox would never have fitted the Aaton anyway.

From memory the square bar went on right of the Aaton (based around the Aaton handle bars) ,in a sort of swing away arrangement, which never seemed to work that well..

My Arri matte box had a couple 3 x 3 or 4 x 3 trays, one of which could be rotated using the silver wing seen at the top. If you removed the tray a 4 x 4 filter could be fitted if needed.

The 16BL matte box didn'r have all the filter tray options, since the filter acoustically sealed the front of the camera.

Brian, Mine has the trays with the silver wings , just not in the shot. 3x3 inch filters...but take the trays out and a 4 inch filter can be used ( with some tape! ).

Robin, the one you show is a different design, I beieve.

Brian, Mine has the trays with the silver wings , just not in the shot. 3x3 inch filters...but take the trays out and a 4 inch filter can be used ( with some tape! ).

Robin, the one you show is a different design, I beieve.

Yes I think your right.. its an older type.. But I recognize those silver wings.. maybe the guy I assisted with a BL had used this newer type.. but that square rod thing was the same set up on top..