"Night Shift" trailer

Trailer for my latest project as Director of Photography, "Night Shift" AKA "Ночная Смена".

https://vimeo.com/254743074

or

https://www.brucealangreene.com/clips

It's a Russian comedy that is "Full Monty - ish" :)

Arri Alexa, Zeiss UltraPrimes/MasterPrimes

Opens June 21 at a theater near you if you live in Russia, Belarus, or Kazakhstan!

Looks like a great romp !.. looks great too.. what camera did you use..?

Thanks Robin. Arri Alexa/ProRes4444.

This movie started as a TV pilot, so the 1st 1/3 was shot 16:9 1920x1080. The network rejected the series and the producer bought the pilot back from the network to make it into a feature. These TV shots unfortunately had to be cropped and enlarged to 2k scope, making them .... a little bit closer looking than desired :) Hope they don't look too close!

• Premium Member

Bruce,

This looks great and very funny. I wish there were subtitles. Congratulations.

But ya gotta tell the story (or some version of it ) about how you came to shoot in Russia. Seems like an extraordinary outcome. Do tell.

Thanks

f

Bruce,

This looks great and very funny. I wish there were subtitles. Congratulations.

But ya gotta tell the story (or some version of it ) about how you came to shoot in Russia. Seems like an extraordinary outcome. Do tell.

Thanks

f

Well, I tried looking at a youtube version of the trailer with auto translate subtitles. But, they made no sense at all :(

There is a subtitled version of one of our films (it might just be the best one) online. It plays with 2 or 3 commercials and the site might be restricted to the US. It plays on computers, but you might need to download an app to play it on a phone or tablet. I believe this is a legitimate site, and not a pirate web site.

https://tubitv.com/movies/286889/8_first_dates

After the commercial runs, click the "cc" tab in the lower right of the frame to turn on the English subtitles. It's a Romantic Comedy, so bring a date!

Shooting Russian films was just an accident. I am good friends with a Russian/American 1st AD/Director/Producer. He produced a Russian film shooting in Los Angeles, and I won the job as DP. That led to a 2nd project with the same director, but for Sony Pictures and shooting in the Republic of Georgia on the Black Sea. I had a translator and was the only American on the crew. That was a real adventure for me! We still have crew reunions when I am in Russia :)

A couple years passed and my American/Russian friend landed a job as co-director with an American co-director on a Russian Comedy with a new producer. By chance the producer was looking an American DP with experience working with Russian crews. And now... I've done 6 Russian comedies + a TV series in Russian language with this group.

And now my challenge is to find work here at home in the US. If any of you are producers or directors here in the US, please send me a message to say hi.

One never knows where life will take them!

Thanks Frank!!!

Edited by Bruce Greene

• 2 weeks later...

Beautifully shot, and looks like a terrific romp Bruce! Just makes me sad it's unlikely to get an English subtitling. Hope it goes well for you, and keep us updated if does get subtitles done.

Thanks Mark! Yes, subtitles are a bit of work. One of our pictures was dubbed into English, and it was ... less than satisfying :( If these were "festival" films, they of course would be subtitled, but there is not a lot of interest in mainstream comedies for film festivals unfortunately.