So when did overuse of slow motion become a thing?

Samuel Berger

Watch and see now with Monstro VV sensor and new Alexa LF cameras - they will rule everything in less than a year. Nobody will be shooting standard 35mm format video in a years time professionally. Nobody.

Oh really? With what lenses? All those great cheap lightweight large format cine lenses? And who is going to pay for the massive storage of all this wonderful video of close ups with no backgrounds? Oh, and where are you going to find the focus pullers that can keep that 1/2 inch depth of field where you want it? I know only a handful of first AC's that can manage 35mm not to mention large format.

I'll be looking forward to seeing all this big chip magnificence on my I-phone like everybody else; but I think I'll keep my 35mm lenses for the time being.

Neal Norton

I think the shallow DOF look is for sure in vogue, but also makes great images. It's not always about getting rid of the BG sometimes its just separation and a feeling. People are so grumpy about trends, everything has always worked in cycles - don't sweat it.

just saw this the other day which I think exemplifies the large format/shallow dof trends - and it looks great

https://vimeo.com/250157051

Creepy video. Pushing an agenda it won't come out and state plainly and openly. What exactly is it saying? Hope? No, that's not what it's pushing. It's pushing change that is going to hurt. Me too is just the beginning. Ah, I see, so the hypocrisy is only to be ramped up even more?

What is needed is true hope, not fake social-media type 'hope' that only wants change at any cost.

Edited by Jon O'Brien

Creepy video. Pushing an agenda it won't come out and state plainly and openly. What exactly is it saying? Hope? No, that's not what it's pushing. It's pushing change that is going to hurt. Me too is just the beginning. Ah, I see, so the hypocrisy is only to be ramped up even more?

What is needed is true hope, not fake social-media type 'hope' that only wants change at any cost.

Interesting, it's directed by Gus Van Sant. I loved his early work.

But yeah, it's not the first time he's made a film about nothing. ;-)