Mole Tener on 100A 120V 3-phase Service

D.C. DuFrane

Hi everyone! I have a few quick questions about running a Mole-Richardson 10kW Tener Solarspot (or really any other large fixture) from a 100A 120V service panel on the building mains. The panel has Cam Lock output and will be going into a 100A distro box like this:

https://www.lighttheatrics.com/lex-100-amp-3-phase-motion-picture-box-with-tail-input-dbs100dt-b4bi2/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAzrTUBRCnARIsAL0mqcwbjlgWj2tBopApyjosTuHu4g6KpgcC221J8FoAubpZwbrsBvLRjOsaAlBMEALw_wcB

I will need to power fixtures such as the Mole Tener and ARRI M90, which I assume we will be fitting with 100A bates connectors.

My questions are:

Does the power need to be balanced across all three phases, or is this only necessary on a generator and not from AC power?

If it does require balancing, what adapter would be used? (100A - 2x 60A Snakebite would only connect on two legs, and I've never seen a 100A Bates - 3x 60A, besides the fact that it sounds like a dangerous and bad idea)

I believe that if I run the lamp from one leg, or split between two with a 100A - 2x 60A Snakebite, that the neutral in theory could hold the excess load. I won't be able to run an acceptable ghost load along with the 10kW with the power I currently have. What are the negatives, if any, of doing this, and am I just completely wrong about that?

Is it better/possible to get a single phase distro box and run only 4-wire from the 5 Cam Lock outputs on the service panel?

I understand the basic concepts of balancing a load within 20% for each leg of 3-phase off a genny, but I am new to using 3-phase AC power from a building. Hope this isn't a stupid question, but I couldn't find a specific answer elsewhere. Am I worrying too much? Too little?

Thank you guys in advance for your help & patience!

You cant use a splitter- doesn't work like the. The splitters split the power "down" 100amp can be split into two 60amp bates but you cant split the 100amp (83amps) needed for the 10k in to two separate feeders.

Only using 4 wire off of a 5 wire feed doesn't help either since the source is still 3-phase ( 5-wire)

Your 10k Mole is going to need a 100A 120v bates and it alone will eat up almost all your power.

Arri M90 will need 240v bates or a snake bite and actually splits the power better but you'll still eat up the same amount of total amps -

Thanks so much for your help and the info on splitters!

All I need to run is one lamp at a time (testing the fixtures for rental) so using up all of my power on one of these is fine with me. So if I'm running just the 10kW from one leg, I won't need to worry about damaging my neutral since it should be rated to carry the necessary amperage, am I correct?

It is my understanding that the service is 120V only, will I need to talk to my building electrician about 240V service or is there another option for the M90? I'm glad you brought this up as I had overlooked the 230V only ballast.

Ed - This will be a disconnect switch dedicated to the cam locks. It has not been installed yet so there is still plenty of time to reconsider the needed service before it will be in use.

JD - A fair point, and I appreciate your honesty. I have an experienced gaffer that will be training me and supervising this when we get there, so I'm not in this alone and definitely taking precautions, just wanted to see if I could glean any info from you guys here before I meet with them.

That being said, does anyone have recommendations for books on electricity or good courses in the New York City area?

• Premium Member

I hope I have enough of a record of fairness to say this, but if there's one thing that's (if I may make so bold) better outside the US, it's mains power.

How many different connectors, voltages, and phase relationships does one power distribution system need?!

I do not know what a "2/0 Bare-Wire Tie-In Set" is, but I have my suspicions, and I'm not sure it should need to exist.

post-29-0-27036300-1519405042_thumb.jpg

Aieee!

Aieee!

Inclined to agree. Shame not to be able to plug a blonde into the wall.

Down on the range (Shoeburyness) we could, and occasionally did, draw up to 63A at 240V and only needed 2 different plugs, a blue and a red IEC, with locks so the blast didn't knock them out. Plus the usual 3-pin plug. Plenty for a 12kW. Or a set of blondes that you didn't have to bring home because they had high explosive splashed all over them.
Edited by Mark Dunn

:lol:

Oh we were quite safe. Usually behind 3 feet of concrete half a mile away. Still insured for 4 years' salary, though.

And it was the first and last chance I'll ever have to spend a million pounds. Went through 16mm. VNF by the mile. Fascinating stuff. That's me with the ST on my avatar.

Early calls, though.
Edited by Mark Dunn

Not sure they're with us, Phil. Have we gone off a bit too tangential?

Some of that 3-pin stuff is suck-air-through-teeth scary. Not sure it would pass BS or CE. It looks a lot like my gran's house wiring from the 1950s. I've still got one of the light bulb socket adapters.

Edited by Mark Dunn

• Premium Member

Or a "camlok suicide m/m."

Yes, that's suicidal...

But hang on a second, are those three-phase camloks colour-coded in red, blue and black?

Red, blue and yellow, surely?

That's what it used to be here, before EU madness infested everything, and changed it to brown, black and grey, which is insane.

Edit: ah, christ:

3-phase-wiring-uk-old-uk-new-usa.png

Or a "camlok suicide m/m."

Yes, that's suicidal...

But hang on a second, are those three-phase camloks colour-coded in red, blue and black?

Red, blue and yellow, surely?

That's what it used to be here, before EU madness infested everything, and changed it to brown, black and grey, which is insane.

Edit: ah, christ:

3-phase-wiring-uk-old-uk-new-usa.png

A male-male Cam turnaround is necessary to create a feeder:Ring-of-Fire. Since you don't make or break energized cams or Bates connections, I don't see the extreme hazard. Hot legs can be any color in the USA except white or green.

EU madness infested everything, and changed it to brown, black and grey, which is insane.

I don't think it was quite like that- the EU merely adopted the IEC standard, presumably as part of the implementation of the single market. Countries belong to the IEC individually.

I think it's handy to be able to buy stuff in, or from, any EU country with the same standards. And handy for Polish crew to be able to rig in Portugal, say, without fear of error.

Edited by Mark Dunn