Alexa Mini Starter Pack

Sava Silin

I went on arri website and It seems that there are tons of various accessories for Alexa mini. Could someone give example of things that I definitely must buy along with the camera if I plan to shoot movies?

I know there are different things for different purposes, but anyway)

The suggested kits from Arri PCA are decent

The complete list of bits is pretty daunting.

I'd suggest 2x Map-2 , 2x MSB-1 , MVB-1 , Viewfinder , a few lengths of 15mm Rods , and a battery plate as a minimum for essential metal work.

A small usb is good. I have a micro SD card with a small usb adapter and a regular SD adapter for going between a WCU-4 and the mini.

A 19mm BP-8 plate and dovetail would be useful but not essential

at least 4 128gb CF cards + reader

The standard rig from tilta is also pretty good. Other manufacturers seem to have similar options but I don't have much experience with those.

There are a lot of options depending on your needs, shop around. Call dealers and ask questions.
Rent the camera for a job, see what it comes with. What stayed in the box, what did the camera team ask for but not have.

If in doubt, find a local AC that knows the camera well and ask them to spec out an order for you with their dream build and their minimal build

The suggested kits from Arri PCA are decent

The complete list of bits is pretty daunting.

I'd suggest 2x Map-2 , 2x MSB-1 , MVB-1 , Viewfinder , a few lengths of 15mm Rods , and a battery plate as a minimum for essential metal work.

A small usb is good. I have a micro SD card with a small usb adapter and a regular SD adapter for going between a WCU-4 and the mini.

A 19mm BP-8 plate and dovetail would be useful but not essential

at least 4 128gb CF cards + reader

The standard rig from tilta is also pretty good. Other manufacturers seem to have similar options but I don't have much experience with those.

There are a lot of options depending on your needs, shop around. Call dealers and ask questions.

Rent the camera for a job, see what it comes with. What stayed in the box, what did the camera team ask for but not have.

If in doubt, find a local AC that knows the camera well and ask them to spec out an order for you with their dream build and their minimal build

Thanks for reply, this is very useful)

Can you explain me why there is a 19mm BP-8 plate and 15mm, what's the difference, besides the size? And the same with SMB-2 Tilt Set

• 1 year later...
On 3/8/2018 at 3:33 PM, Sava Silin said:

Can you explain me why there is a 19mm BP-8 plate and 15mm, what's the difference

The only difference between 15mm and 19mm is the strength of these. 19mm is much stronger than 15mm.

This won't matter if you don't plan to attach much accessories or a heavy lens (nothing heavier than Zeiss cp2 or Xeen). But if you plan to attach tons of accessories to the rod (often the case with Alexa Mini as it doesn't have many body mounting points) or attach a heavy zoom lens (like the Angenieux zoom lens). You should always go with the 19mm, it's simply stronger and usually the same price, it's not much heavier either.

On 3/8/2018 at 3:33 PM, Sava Silin said:

besides the size? And the same with SMB-2 Tilt Set

There aren't much beyond that, BP-8 and BP 9 (15mm and 19mm version of he same bridge plate) are just there so people with different rod support system can attach their camera to a tripod. They have different thickness to them, as different rod standards have different lens height requirements (http://www.ocon.com/inspiration/labs/rod-standards-explained/, you can learn more here)

But be careful that the BP series only work with Alexa NOT mini series camera. As these have a higher native lens height, to use them with Alexa mini, which has a lower native lens height. You would need a separate adapter. Which would cost you even more money. I would recommend that you go with Arri's Compact Bridge Plate series. They are more expensive that BP series, but cheaper than the BP + Alexa mini adapter and also allow for shoulder mount.