Rating of 16mm stock (250D / 50D)

Markus Koepke

Hello folks.

I'm reading conflicting stuff about the rating of 16mm stock. Do you guys rate your stock a full stop over or 2/3 for day exterior? How about night exterior?

I'll be shooting 250D and 50D mostly for now, on regular 16. I'm already compensating for the prism light loss on my Bolex Rex5 so I don't want to overexpose too much. What are your experiences?

Thanks for your input!

Both handle over exposure very well. They are known for it. A full stop over is no big deal. Daytime in full sun you really don't need overexposure, but night exteriors could use it. Presuming you are shooting at 24fps 1/48th and using the 250D at night, you will be close to wide open anyway. If you can change stocks, try 7219 for night time.

According to Bolex the Prism takes off a 'whooping' 5% of the light. (Approxiamtely an eighth of a stop)
I wouldn't even know how to compensate for this. Or the other way 'round: If you already overexpose the neg for any other reason you shouldn't have to worry about the prism anymore.
Best of luck!

• Premium Member

According to Bolex the Prism takes off a 'whooping' 5% of the light. (Approxiamtely an eighth of a stop)

I wouldn't even know how to compensate for this.

From the Bolex manual:

post-46614-0-29558400-1521174787_thumb.jpg

Dom, wow, (thx!) I have a similar paper that says what I shared before.

But I'll take that as a proof for my second thought - that. If you overexpose as I always do for aesthetic reasons about 2/3 of a stop, the (1/4 of stop) loss from the prism should be taken care of. ;)

Thanks for the comment! (If I find my source I'll share it)

Best