Stolen Lenses and Gear

I would like to have your Attention for a Moment..... Please if you Rent or Buy Gear on Ebay or wherever have a look here:

https://cameramarket.eu/stolen_gear.php

and Check if the gear is Stolen. Not a nice Feeling to be a Victim i can tell.

Cheers

Randy

Edited by Randy J Tomlinson

• Premium Member

Some of stuff like flags, cookes and other odds and ends I can see being used, but how could hope to get away with trying to use a stolen camera on set? Don't rental houses and crews keep track of and recognize a hot item?

I think I can safely say that I've never been on a set with stolen cameras.

You can remove rental labels easily and who on set is going to check the serial numbers on cameras?

Stolen gear is fenced or sold to unsuspecting people.

have you checked every serial number on equipment on set?

• Premium Member

Admittedly I haven't, but every camera I've seen on set has either belonged to one of the local rental houses (or did) or the production company in question.

I've never seen any camera that was ... I don't know ... "suspicious". I guess these days things are different. I mean one time I heard an AD talking with someone else about Panavision having an amnesty day where people could bring in gear that some how got into their hands, but nothing beyond that.

Rental gear goes missing every day, sometimes it gets mixed in the equipment being returned to another company. Most rental houses have a pile of gear with some other company's tag on it. Sometime they'll call the renter and let them know about the mistake and sometimes they'll try to get the gear headed back to the right owner.