Focus Pulling with Film Cameras

Hi guys, I've got a couple of dumb questions about film cameras, I hope you'll help me to figure it out. I know there are tons of film cameras, lets imagine I'm talking about Arricam LT.

How does people maintain the focus ring or zoom ring on the film camera if camera is on the crane and you can't touch it? Is there any wireless systems for film cameras?

Also, if you are a DP and you shooting handheld and you're walking/running with the subject, is it DP's job to control focus ring or he has assistant that runs all the time next to him?

Also, Is there anyway to transmit on separate screen what you shoot with the film camera during production?

I know, this is kinda silly questions, but I'm just new to film cameras, that's why I'm asking.

• Premium Member

You can put a remote focus system on a film camera's lens just like you can on a digital camera's lens.

You can put a transmitter on a film camera that has a video tap to send a picture without a cable, or you can run a cable from the video tap to a monitor, etc. Just be aware that most taps are standard-def, only a few are high-def.

You have to put marks and pull accordingly or if its a free flow, you can get some reference marks and judge the distance by eye in relations to your mark and also, pulling focus is matching the subjects speed and the numbers should fall in place if you can match your speed to the subject.

You can put a remote focus system on a film camera's lens just like you can on a digital camera's lens.

You can put a transmitter on a film camera that has a video tap to send a picture without a cable, or you can run a cable from the video tap to a monitor, etc. Just be aware that most taps are standard-def, only a few are high-def.

Thanks for answer, David. Does focus systems for film cameras differ from the ones for digital cameras? Is it possible to use Arri WCU-4 with Arricam lt?

Thanks for answer, David. Does focus systems for film cameras differ from the ones for digital cameras? Is it possible to use Arri WCU-4 with Arricam lt?

All Wireless FI+Z systems work regardless of the individual camera. Doesn't matter if it is film or digital. Panavision or Arri, Sony or RED. BUT cables will be different for power and start/stop if it is Panavision compared to ARRI or Moviecam for that matter. But besides that, they are independent of camera body.

The WCU-4 will work with any camera if you have the UMC.

Edited by Michael Kubaszak

you'll need the arri reciever + motors for each part of the lens you want to control as I dont think they made an integrated lens control module on the LT (I could be wrong). The 435 Xtreme has the same style lens control wireless system built in like the Alexa Plus cameras.

If you cant get an HD-IVS, you might want to consider a Ward's Sniper mk3 or similar invisible laser or sonar focus assist if youre worried.

you'll need the arri reciever + motors for each part of the lens you want to control as I dont think they made an integrated lens control module on the LT (I could be wrong). The 435 Xtreme has the same style lens control wireless system built in like the Alexa Plus cameras.

I know the 416 plus and 435 Xtreme have LCS integration so most arri hand units should talk as long as they're the same "color" radio (white or yellow)

The Arricam ST and LT have lens data boxes that have LCS but I can't say how common they are as the ones I've used have all been pretty bare bones. Don't know if they were upgradable to white radio