Oxberry animation camera

Beau House

I’m trying to solve an issue with an animation stand camera, and I’m hoping some forum members might have insights that could help.

I have a 16mm single perf shuttle from an Oxberry optical printer, and a 16mm double perf shuttle from an Oxberry animation stand + camera that I’m trying to restore. I’d assumed the optical printer’s movement would be compatible with the animation camera, but it turns out that’s not the case. There’s a slight difference in the height of the “fork” on the Oxberry movement that prevents it from fitting into the camera fully (shown in the first picture below).
Has anyone seen differences in movements like this? Perhaps the unmarked movement was produced by a different manufacturer like Bell & Howell? Unfortunately the camera and shuttle have no identifying markings.
Does the idea of sending the double perf movement to a camera tech to be modified sound crazy?
An album with more images of the animation stand + camera is posted here. Any tips on where to find parts, or insight into the different types of shuttles and their makers would be appreciated. Ultimately I'm hoping to get my hands on a 16mm, single perf movement that’s compatible with this camera.

post-67242-0-06561400-1524103848_thumb.jpg

post-67242-0-25773600-1524103858_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member

Pretty sure the shuttles are both Oxberry.

The optical printer shuttle is not compatible with the camera because the optical printer projector head had to take both 16mm and 35mm movements, so the cam displacement is different for 16mm and 35mm.

You can remove a registration pin and a take down pin on the camera gate or have it done. As long as you are using fresh raw stock, I would think it should be fine, ASSUMING you will still be shooting Standard 16mm images and not Super 16mm footage.

Your stand looks home-brewed; not unusual. Looks like a combination of Oxberry, maybe Norton and other manufacturers. Not a bad thing and not unusual, just custom made by someone to their working ideals.

You might be able to get a response from Oxberry themselves at http://www.oxberry.com/.

EDIT: Oh wow, I just looked harder at your camera body and it is a highly modifed B&H 2709! Your working movement might be a stock Oxberry with a modified fork for the drive cam.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the reply Frank. It’s good to know those are both likely from Oxberry. I tried reaching out to them directly to inquire about the shuttles on their price list. Unfortunately I haven’t heard back.

Your assumption is correct. The intent is to shoot standard 16mm, not Super 16mm footage. I’m trying to find a single perf shuttle or modify the double perf one I have to open up more film stock options. It’s looking like finding a camera tech to have the registration pin and take down pin removed from the gate is the best way forward.
This animation stand is definitely somewhat of a Frankenstein’s monster built from pieces of different machines. A couple different stands have passed through the space where this is located over the years, leading to some mismatching. Some pieces came from the NFB, others from a studio in Montreal or elsewhere. Their exact provenance is a mystery.
I have another animation camera (Acme) that appears capable of taking 16mm and 35mm movements. A collection of magazines, two shuttles for 16mm double perf, an Acme 35mm film transport mechanism, and other parts if anyone comes across this thread and is interested in trading to get their system (and this one) working.

• Premium Member

You're welcome, Beau.

I have an Oxberry printer head with a 16mm gate (double perf with one pin removed) and a 35mm full aperture gate myself, but it looks like a match for the one you already have, so that wouldn't be of any use to you.

I built a 3K scanner about a decade ago with the parts to restore a series of Alice Guy Blache films from the 1890's thru the 1910's. I haven't touched it in years and its sitting in my basement, wrapped in plastic. Maybe I'll resurrect it one day, but probably not. It's just so slow, 1.5 seconds a frame and quite the pain to set up and run.

I know of a full-blown 16mm Oxberry Pro Animator Stand in Ohio that is disassembled and stored poorly in a shed. It is my ex-wife's stand (long story) and she would probably part with it if you are interested.

It has (or did have) pretty much everything, including the rotoscope projector.

Frank

• Upvote 1

It’s good to know that there are still full-blown Oxberry Pros out there (assembled or not). A road trip to Ohio would be quite the adventure. If I had the resources to make the journey I’d seriously consider it.

In the meantime I’ll keep working to resurrect this one. Hopefully I can find someone willing to take on modifying the shuttle.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure you won't but if you reach a dead end with the oxberry (single perf) gate I'd be interested in buying it as I'm restoring an optical printer that uses oxberry movements. I only have 2 x 35mm and 1 x 16, so I really need a 16mm gate to complete the fucntionality. All the best with your project though.

BTW. The single perf shuttle I have is super 16mm a sis your from the photo. I am also really after standard 16mm gates BUT I think, or suspect that standard 16mm gates are always double perf. I havent seen any standard 16 gates that are single perf. People (as Frank mentions) usually take a pin out. I like the super gate because I'm doing exposures onto the soundtrack area but as long as your art work is masked you can crop the expose anyway, effectively acting like a standard gate.

@Graeme

I ended up sending the double perf / regular 16mm gate in the picture above to Bernie at Super 16 Inc to have a registration and take down pin removed. I suspect you’re right about only the super 16mm gates being single perf.
There’s a fully functional Oxberry optical printer, as well as a couple non-functional animation cameras (originally built for the NFB) along with several gates and a couple film transports in the inventory of the group this animation stand belongs to (Cineworks Independent Filmmakers Society). I’ll take a careful look at what’s on hand in the next few days and if I’m able to identity a redundant regular 16mm gate I’ll let you know.

That would be amazing Beau. If always feels a shame to separate parts out from machines. BUT, if this seems a useful opportunity to do this I would be eternally grateful. I'm after ANY oxberry gates. Also the projector head sprocket drives, esp for 35mm ( I only have 16mm ones) . Also rotoscope parts, relays lens mounts or parts, etc.

sprockets

http://www.nachleben.org.uk/skomer/man-uploads/OXBERRY/photos/oxberry%20009.jpg

http://www.nachleben.org.uk/skomer/man-uploads/OXBERRY/photos/headsprockets.jpg

camera

http://www.nachleben.org.uk/skomer/man-uploads/OXBERRY/photos/camera.jpg

http://www.nachleben.org.uk/skomer/man-uploads/OXBERRY/motor/VID_20161109_133415.mp4

http://www.nachleben.org.uk/skomer/man-uploads/OXBERRY/photos/oxberry%20019.jpg

• 2 years later...

Your unknown shuttle looks like a Photo Sonics Acme to me. They liked to stamp the serial numbers on the tang. Acme also had tab on the outside of the base plate to set into the Camera door when closed. I had one in 8mm and super 8mm and the cam was lower than that in 16mm like the one shown. The shuttle took masks and shot both sides of Double 8. BTW the Printer and Camera shuttles have registration pins in different positions and some are in 35mm are set up with KS 1870 perfs instead of the standard BH 1866. 

• 1 year later...