Daniel Miler

I am trying to find if any major tv series were broadcast in scope aspect ratio?

I know some shows such as The Walking Dead and True Detective s02 were shot anamorphic with a 16:9 extraction, but looking on line I was not able to find any series broadcast in scope except a british show called Broadchurch which apparently was shot anamorphic for 2:1 screening.

Also the great doco Wild Wild Country was shot scope (seems anamorphic).

Any other thoughts?

'Scope ratio is actually 2.35:1 and I don't think any UK series actually shoot anamorphic, but "Ordeal by Innocence" (BBC) recently had a narrow letterbox on our 16:9 set. I've just measured it, so that would be about 2:1.

'Scope ratio is actually 2.35:1 and I don't think any UK series actually shoot anamorphic, but "Ordeal by Innocence" (BBC) recently had a narrow letterbox on our 16:9 set. I've just measured it, so that would be about 2:1.

Thanks for your reply Mark. Ill try and check out Ordeal by innocence!

Broadchurch shot on the cooke anam. couldent find any tech info about Ordeal, but would be pretty interesting if they both went for 2:1 extraction.... I wonder if thats because its an easier aspect for the networks to digest?

Of course traditionally scope is defined as 2.35 or 2.39, but recently with digital I see allot of original aspects extracted from anamorphic material, ranging from 2:1 to 2.66:1.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think I've ever seen a broadcast TV show exhibit in "scope" 2.35:1 but as mentioned in other comments here there are a few shows out there that are doing the scope/anamorphic thing on Netflix. Black Mirror has a few episodes that are in widescreen format. I suppose these shows are in fact TV shows, but at 45min or even 1 hour long they are blurring the lines between "TV shows" and "films" it seems. I think consumers are used to seeing black bars on TVs but I certainly wish that 21:9 tvs caught on. I would much prefer to watch a movie movie fill the screen and see regular TV have bars on the left and right.