I want to dive more into narrative books again. I've always been a very audiovisual person, when it comes to perceiving and consuming storys.

So I'd like to come back to the written storys, after heaving read so many non-fictional books about lighting, photography and cinematography.

Can you give me some recommendations?

I know it's rather subjective. But I thought, I'd meet some like-minded people, since we are all filmmakers and visual storytellers.

Maybe I can give you a little help with my favourite films and directors, that I enjoy watching:

- Kitano, Fincher, Tarantino, Danny Bolye, the Coen brothers, W. Allen, Gus van Sant, Luc Besson, Spike Jonze,

- nearly all of the Studio Ghibli movies and some classic anime feature films like Ghost in the Shell,

- Se7en, Lost in Translation and Good Will Hunting are some of my favourite films I can watch over and over again.

Bruce Sterling especially Schismatrix, Holy Fire and short story collections. James Ellroy, especially the original LA books. Chester Himes. Walter Mosley. Bulgakov's Master & Margarita. Nabakov. Babel's Red Cavalry. Seth Morgan's Homeboy. The Godfather.

Get started on Stephen King - that should keep you busy for a few years. Maybe start with Misery, or The Long Walk and move up to the Stand or IT, if you get on with him.

Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere, The Graveyard book, American Gods

Kate Atkinson - Behind the Scenes at the Museum, A God in Ruins

Michael Crichton - Jurassic Park - much better then the film

David Mitchell - Cloudwritten, The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet

• Premium Member

Whatever it did, it did it ALLLL...

I'm gonna recommend Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (it's not really a narrative) but i recommend anyway.

or you could buy my book-- just look it up on Amazon-- though also not narrative.