Leicina special camera w/ Leicina ST 1 control unit

bradley hayman

Hopefully soon I'll be shooting some long exposure stuff on super 8 but I'm having problems figuring out exactly how to use the Leicina ST 1 electronic control unit. Any help?

I have a manual but the wording on page 9 seems very confusing. Rotary knob dot facing dot (?) range 1 range 2, I'm surprised they couldn't make it clearer.

So I'm not really looking for single frame operation, but long exposure operation, but again, the manual isn't very clear.

Another basic question: when they say "interval", are they referring to the time between exposures? And "scene duration" is the actual exposure time?

Will the "interval" time and "scene" time always be the same?

post-71729-0-28175100-1527970423_thumb.png

Hopefully soon I'll be shooting some long exposure stuff on super 8 but I'm having problems figuring out exactly how to use the Leicina ST 1 electronic control unit. Any help?

I have a manual but the wording on page 9 seems very confusing. Rotary knob dot facing dot (?) range 1 range 2, I'm surprised they couldn't make it clearer.

So I'm not really looking for single frame operation, but long exposure operation, but again, the manual isn't very clear.

Another basic question: when they say "interval", are they referring to the time between exposures? And "scene duration" is the actual exposure time?

Will the "interval" time and "scene" time always be the same?

Hi ,

Being looking for a copy of the Leicina ST 1 electronic control unit in English not easy to find only have a copy in German .

Any chance of getting a pdf from you please !

Will you pm if you can thanks you .

Christopher .

Hi ,

Being looking for a copy of the Leicina ST 1 electronic control unit in English not easy to find only have a copy in German .

Any chance of getting a pdf from you please !

Will you pm if you can thanks you .

Christopher .

sure.

anyone else looking can find it here

http://www.vintagecameras.fr/images/MonSite/LEITZ/Leicina_Super/_Doc/Control_Unit_Manual_en.pdf

If you want time exposure, as opposed to time lapse, follow the directions on p.22 of the camera manual. Set the knob 21 to "T". The instructions you quote don't refer to time exposures- "scene duration" means how long the camera will run when used as an intervalometer.

The camera manual says that on "T" the shutter stays open between impulses. So your exposure time will be as indicated by the "scene duration" setting. That's how I read it anyway.

Edited by Mark Dunn

• 3 weeks later...

Depending on what you're after you might find it interesting to make your own control unit for the Leicina, allowing (for example) laptop control of the camera.

This can be done using an Arduino as an intermediary between camera and laptop. Or one might use a Raspberry Pi.

In any case, for control of exposure time, terminals 1 and 8, in the following diagram, do the trick. You connect these terminals to open the shutter, and then disconnect them to close the shutter. You can test this out using ad hoc probes plugged into terminals 1 and 8 on the camera port. Having satisfied yourself this works, you can then wire these terminals to a relay (be it mechanical or solid state), and switch the relay with a micro-controller (such as the Arduino). The Arduino is very easy to program and can provide an accurately timed delay between connection and disconnection of the terminals.

post-48441-0-44733200-1529454940_thumb.jpg

In the previous post I suggested that connecting the terminals 1 and 8, opens the shutter, and disconnecting them closes the shutter, however it might be the case (it's been a while since I've done this) that you need to make a connection followed by a disconnection to open the shutter, and then make another connection followed by a disconnection, to close the shutter. Testing with some ad-hoc probes will establish what is required.

C

Depending on what you're after you might find it interesting to make your own control unit for the Leicina, allowing (for example) laptop control of the camera.

This can be done using an Arduino as an intermediary between camera and laptop. Or one might use a Raspberry Pi.

In any case, for control of exposure time, terminals 1 and 8, in the following diagram, do the trick. You connect these terminals to open the shutter, and then disconnect them to close the shutter. You can test this out using ad hoc probes plugged into terminals 1 and 8 on the camera port. Having satisfied yourself this works, you can then wire these terminals to a relay (be it mechanical or solid state), and switch the relay with a micro-controller (such as the Arduino). The Arduino is very easy to program and can provide an accurately timed delay between connection and disconnection of the terminals.

attachicon.gifLeicinaControlSocket2.jpg

This has just become available: http://cineassist.filmcurl.com/

Although it hasn't been programmed to use the Leicina T option properly :(