Light Meter and False Color

This might be a silly / dumb question. I have a monitor coming with false color. Im super excited to start using that as I dont have much experience with it but it seems incredibly useful. I usually use a light meter when I scout but also during the shoot itself. Im wondering if false color eliminates the need for a meter on the day of shooting to nail exposure? I understand using the meter during scouting since I wont have the camera or lenses, but Im curious how they work together during production or if its usually one or the other.

I guess Im asking how do they compliment each other and it what ways is one better than the other?

Thanks!

Edited by Sawyer Thurston

• Premium Member

False color; theoretically, tells you what each pixel is giving you. However, that said, while I'll use on camera false color on occasion; I still typically work by meter. To each their own, though. My worry is always how accurate the on monitor false colors are, especially as they're typically only looking at a 1080p SDI feed, and not what is actually being recorded on camera. That said, if the false is "fine" on the monitor, it should be fine on the recording as well.

I'm still experimenting with the two (meter v false colour) ... checking lighting with the meter before looking at the false color and it's always pretty darn close to my mental image mixed with the results of the meter. The perk of the false colour is that it can highlight something I may have missed in the frame whilst paying too much attention to the subjects/talent.

But being that I shoot film quiet often on a hobby level, the meter will always be king.