Reverse Effect Photography

KKB22

I want my subject that I will be filmming to move in reverse, and I really, really don't want the video strobing effect that is often created when creating these effects in post. I've noticed that cameras like the Arri LT and others of that sort can film at reverse speeds. Does one load the film into the take up side of the magazine expecting it to run to the feed side? If this isn't how it is done, does one film the subject normally then assemble the negative frame by frame in reverse? Or is there some other process entirely different to what I am thinking?

Cheers :D

• Premium Member
I want my subject that I will be filmming to move in reverse, and I really, really don't want the video strobing effect that is often created when creating these effects in post. I've noticed that cameras like the Arri LT and others of that sort can film at reverse speeds. Does one load the film into the take up side of the magazine expecting it to run to the feed side? If this isn't how it is done, does one film the subject normally then assemble the negative frame by frame in reverse? Or is there some other process entirely different to what I am thinking?

Cheers  :D

Hi,

Many film cameras will run backwards. In the past with a Mitchell I alwasy used to just run the film from the take up side to the feed side. However the Keycode will be wrong (and possibly the take up motors going the wrong way) .So you have to run the film forwards first with a lens cap on, then run the camera backwards!

Cheers

Stephen Williams Lighting Cameraman

www.stephenw.com

As Stephen said.

But I don't know what you mean exactly by the 'strobing' effect in post.

If you don't do a speed change and simply run a shot in reverse in digital post or did it on an optical printer it looks the same as if you shot it in reverse.

-Sam

i read a book a few years ago called "everything i want to know about filmmaking, i learnt from the toxic avenger". it was all about the low budget techniques making troma movies. i remember it saying that for reverse action (before computer, and i guess without the budget for a camera that runs in reverse), they would shoot the shot with the camera upside down, then flip the actual negative upside down, resulting in backwards / rightside up footage. makes sence in my head, but i think the shot would be a bit out of focus.