Shooting digital contemplating HDR future tecnology?

Hi, I'll be shooting a tv serial, contemplating the HDR. That means, shooting digital as if it was a negative, thinking of future technology. As today you can buy an HDR tv, there is no content for HDR yet. So they are trying us, dp's, to start thinking in HDR when shooting digital..

Any expierence?

HDR is created in post. It's virtually impossible to monitor HDR on set anyway. The advice I was given was that I should use a camera with as high a bit depth as possible, and make sure to protect my highlights, as blown out windows and other clipped whites are a problem in HDR.

HDR is created in post. It's virtually impossible to monitor HDR on set anyway. The advice I was given was that I should use a camera with as high a bit depth as possible, and make sure to protect my highlights, as blown out windows and other clipped whites are a problem in HDR.

Ok, but what happens in the dark areas... should I bounce some or more light in the shadows? what happens with specularities?

Ok, but what happens in the dark areas... should I bounce some or more light in the shadows?

You don't really need to do anything for dark areas, unless there is important detail that you need to see. A modern cinema camera in LOG mode is probably capturing around 14 stops of information, but most displays can only handle around 7 stops, so you are losing about 50% of your information. That's why the color-timing process is so important, because it allows you to manipulate the existing data so that you can shape the picture the way you want it. With an HDR display, much more of the data is visible without manipulation.

• Premium Member

The thing to understand about HDR at the moment is that there are essentially no standards, or at least there are a dozen standards. Any client who needs HDR is likely to specify which standard they like, but if you don't have that information there's nothing you can do other than make sure you're exposing properly and, as Stuart says, protect highlights.

P

• 6 months later...

You don't really need to do anything for dark areas, unless there is important detail that you need to see. A modern cinema camera in LOG mode is probably capturing around 14 stops of information, but most displays can only handle around 7 stops, so you are losing about 50% of your information. That's why the color-timing process is so important, because it allows you to manipulate the existing data so that you can shape the picture the way you want it. With an HDR display, much more of the data is visible without manipulation.

Well! Finally I shot the project.. Im starting tomorrow some color Correction for sdr and hdr, and Its like you said. Thanks!