24 or 18

Gareth Munden

I about to have a go at Super 8 , I'm going to shoot neg and have it Telecined onto MiniDV so I can edit - grade on my Mac . Two things I wanna ask . Should I shoot at 24 or 18 FPS ? does it make much diffence ? . Also how much shooting time do you get with 50' at both 24 and 18 FPS ?

Thanks all .

• Premium Member

18 fps / 50' = 3:20

24 fps / 50' = 2:30

Motion will be smoother and grain & sharpness a little better at higher sampling rates, so I usually use 24 fps with Super-8. Matters more with projection than telecine though but I still think it's a good idea. We're not talking about a major improvement though, but with Super-8, every little bit helps.

II'm going to shoot neg and have it Telecined onto MiniDV so I can edit - grade on my Mac .

FYI - You can't telecine a negative because you can't project a negative - you would have to make a print, and unfortunately no one prints Super 8mm anymore. If you shoot negative, you will have to have it scanned which will cost you around 400 per hour.

FYI - You can't telecine a negative because you can't project a negative - you would have to make a print, and unfortunately no one prints Super 8mm anymore. If you shoot negative, you will have to have it scanned which will cost you around 400 per hour.

Sorry but you can Telecine neg .

Guest Ian Marks

"FYI - You can't telecine a negative because you can't project a negative"

WHAAA??? Of course you can telecine a negative. What do you think you're seeing when you watch most episodic television?

Anyway, shoot at 24 fps.

• Premium Member

Sorry but you can Telecine neg

Hi,

In 1987, when SVC television installed the first DaVinci on a Rank Mark 3 in london. They demonstrated how much better neg was than print. Since then neg transfers have become very standard. I knew a film lab with an FDL 90 who used to tell everybody that it was better to go from print. The same lab was making archive copies from an FDL 60 recording composite video onto DigiBeta 10 years ago! LOL

Stephen Williams DOP (Ex Telecine op)

www.stephenw.com

• Premium Member
FYI - You can't telecine a negative because you can't project a negative -

People telecine negative all the time. You're talking about the fact that you can't use a cheap film-chain transfer (Super-8 projector pointed at a video camera basically), the type that people use to dump their home movies to tape. But the quality is so low with those that the whole 18 versus 24 fps debate becomes moot if you're going to go that low-ball on the transfer.

London post houses are expensive. You'll probably find it cheaper to ship materials to the USA for post.

A local post house in Minneapolis transfers Super8 negative on a Marconi line array telecine for $3.50 per minute, 200' minimum, and the transfer looks very nice (NTSC only, sorry).