PC for Working with Adobe Premiere

Larry Stone

Hello,

I'm interested in creating a few time laspe and short personal films. My plan is to start of with a system that can run Adobe Premiere and After Effects. Using a DSLR Nikon D750, Full HD 60p. Any feedback on the following system would be helpful: (Problems I might run into, things I should up grade etc)

Processor Intel® Core™ i7 8700K (6-Core/12-Thread, 12MB Cache, up to 4.7GHz w/ Intel® Turbo Boost Technology) Operating System Windows 10 Home 64bit English Chassis Options Alienware™ 850 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply with High Performance Liquid Cooling Video Card Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 graphics with 8GB GDDR5X each (NVIDIA SLI® Enabled) Memory 32GB Dual Channel HyperX™ DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz; up to 64GB (additional memory sold separately) Hard Drive 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage Thank You for the help

Because of the huge size of hirez movie files, and for redundancy/built-in back-up, you may want to add a 2nd harddrive.

Also, After Effects (I'm not sure about premiere) should be used with a scratch disc that is on a different drive than the one you're rendering to. Your SSD boot drive is small (256GB) so it could quickly get full then you're stuck with the one drive as both scratch and render location. Some people recommend that using an SSD drive for a scratch disc is faster than a traditional disc.

Either way it's nice to have the extra internal space for storage.

I made a few changes. Only have 1 Graphic Card, it's still a GTX 1080 and the memory is 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2666MHz. I'm only looking to make 15 minute family interview videos, I was told that the extra graphic card and 2933MHz memory was over kill, so I saved some money.

It will work just fine.

Thank You for replying.

Because of the huge size of hirez movie files, and for redundancy/built-in back-up, you may want to add a 2nd harddrive.

Also, After Effects (I'm not sure about premiere) should be used with a scratch disc that is on a different drive than the one you're rendering to. Your SSD boot drive is small (256GB) so it could quickly get full then you're stuck with the one drive as both scratch and render location. Some people recommend that using an SSD drive for a scratch disc is faster than a traditional disc.

Either way it's nice to have the extra internal space for storage.

I plan on using the SSD as the work drive(scratch drive), it will house all programs and files, then transfer to the HHD for storage. With a second external drive as the back for all saved files.Thank You for replying.

I would suggest adding a raid, performance wise your PC should be fine. Bottleneck will be reading from the HD.

I'm going to look into that, won't hurt to have raid system.