16mm camera repair in Los Angeles?

Roko Belic

Hello,

Does anyone know of a camera technician in Los Angeles who works on 16mm cameras, specifically Eclair NPR and Beaulieu?

I need someone to remove the ground glass, mark it (with a pencil is fine), and replace it in an Eclair NPR camera that's already been (partially) modified to super 16mm.

The eyepiece has an issue as well, where one side of the frame is cut off, I assume because of the lens re-centering in the super 16 conversion. The image on my test reel looks great, but my framing was off because of the inaccurate ground glass markings and eyepiece problem.

Also, I have a Beaulieu 16mm clockwork camera and need to figure out why my focusing has been occasionally off even though I've got the eyepiece diopter calibrated - at least the way I think it needs to be calibrated. I'm looking for a camera technician in Los Angeles who would go over the camera with me and possibly convert it to Ultra 16mm.

The Eclair has been to Bernie O'Dougherty who gave it a clean bill of health, but he was too swamped to do mark the ground glass.

The cameras and I are in Los Angeles. Thanks for reading and considering this!

-Roko

(brand new member)

Thank you Tyler and Samuel. Yeah, it's hard to believe there are only two experts --- we're not that old yet are we? Is everyone else really gone? It wasn't that long ago that this stuff was standard. Maybe I am getting old...

Thanks again guys. I'll let you know what happens with the cameras.

There's plenty of modern film camera service and rentals in LA and overall, some of it is done internally at rental houses or resellers/dealers. This post was asking about specific, non-commercial cameras which aren't in general rental use and not used on many productions, and certainly not on decently funded projects. Funded/bonded/insured productions are renting later model Arri or Aaton film cameras and it only makes business sense, in general, to actively service these cameras.

• Premium Member

Ablecine will work on Aaton film cameras still. I didnt ask Girvan if they will do anything else, especially the more esoteric or rare cameras (I would guess not but ya never know)

Na, they're only XTR's at this time. They won't even fix the 35mm cameras at all.

Thanks you guys. Indeed, Girvan at Abelcine, Jorge Diaz and Andree Martin do not work on Eclair NPRs or Beaulieu cameras.

But Paul Scaglione at Visual Products in Ohio is very knowledgeable about the Eclair and up for the task. I'm sending him my camera next week. VERY nice guy, by the way, and super helpful.

Visual Products (440)647-4999

Also, Björn Andersson <info@beaulieu-service.com> has been helpful with advice on the Beaulieu.

Thanks again!

Roko

• Upvote 1

I was waiting to see your reply because I have an Eclair NPR that needs to be serviced too and I'm going to drive to LA soon. I knew that technicians in LA don't work on the NRP but I was hopeful. I had to bite the bullet and pay $100 just to send the camera package to Bernie in NY. I mean I'm glad about Bernie who is known as the best Eclair camera technician working on my camera, what I say is $200 just for shipping can be a lot on a camera that doesn't generate money for me at this time.

Good Luck with your camera, good to know that Visual Products serviced them too.

Hi Ruben and Samuel,

Would you mind sending me an email so I can get in touch with you guys independently and not drag this thread out? I'd like to ultimately get on the phone with each of you for a few minutes to find out about your experiences with the NPR. So far with mine I've only shot some title cards for a short film (the rest of the film was shot with an Arri 416) and a couple test rolls. Curious about if you've used your NPRs for narrative work, any shortcomings in terms of noise or battery life or difficulty focusing on the fly etc.

Samuel, did you have to modify your eyepiece at all to see the entire Ultra 16mm frame?

Ruben, is your NPR regular, super or ultra 16?

You can email me at: Roko@wadirum.com

No sweat if you're not up for it, of course.

Thanks!

-Roko

Roko,

I'll send you an email. I like sharing info publicly specially when it comes to rare or old cameras so other people can use the information too, but I guess this thread is closed since now we know no active technician in LA works on the NPR which is sad.