Lighting a Christmas scene

Thom Heald

Hi all,

I'm prepping for a Christmas promo, for which the director wants a "winter evening cosy warm family house glow".

We're building a set inside a large hangar, and it will require a roof as the sound is super echoey. There is space outside of the set for lighting and rigging.

Talent will be sat on the sofas, two people per sofa. They're playing charades so may be standing up and being quite active. There'll be two cameras cross shooting as we only have the talent for one hour.

My initial thoughts are to rig a scaff pole across the top of the set and create a skirted soft box with 2 x Skypanel S60 or Litemats. However I worry that might be a bit too 'toppy'.

We'll have fake snow falling outside the window so I thought an M18 pushing through diff with 1/2 CTO + 1/8 Green should make a nice soft moonlight effect.

All other fixtures will be set to 3200k, the lights on the Christmas tree and the practicals will be doing a fair bit of work inside the set, and the two Skypanels behind the cameras will be for additional fill / motivated practical light if necessary. Practicals should be on dimmers, maybe even with RGB bulbs.

Art department will be putting in a fake fire, it would be nice to have a Skypanel on fire effect mode but i'm not sure where it would go.

Hoping to shoot on Alexa Mini and Ultra Primes but suggestions for a warmer/more Christmassy combo would be appreciated.

Am I missing anything? Would you build anything else in for keying the talent? Some bounce around the table height?

Thanks.

post-75713-0-93602900-1540368709_thumb.png