The best new cinematogapher in the world

Hamid Khozouie

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi

my best new cinmatographers which changed the way i think and look at the cinematography world are:

CHRIS DOYLE

HARRIS SAVIDES

RODRIGO PERITO

LANCE ACORD

RAM

Edited by ramdop

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad sombody finally mentioned Wally Pfister. Although his sensibilities are more commercial, he has a really elegant style that I feel really contributes positively to Christopher Nolan's films, making them that much better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Elect the best new cinematographer in the world .

The best new cinematographer means who shows a creative idea in these 10 or 15 years.

My choices are :

DARIUS KHONDJI

CHRISTOPHER DOYLE

RODRIGO PRIETO

DION BEEBE

SEAMUS MCGARVEY

ROGER PRATT

Be thanks for your consideration .

I can't vote by this I am sorry, I see cinematographer's that I really like are not in this list, so the voting will be short sighted.

Regards

Dimitrios Koukas

Actually it was Paul Cameron who shot "Man On Fire", which was one of my favorite films visually from last year. It looks like Dan Mindel has picked up the same look and run with it for Tony Scott's new movie "Domino" which I'm hoping will be fun.

John Mathieson has been shooting many of the recent Ridley Scott movies, including "Kingdom of Heaven" and "Gladiator".

Besides Cameron, newer DP's I like include Darius Khondji, Harris Savides, Bojan Bazelli, Mauro Fiore, Malik Sayeed, Claudio Miranda, etc. Lots of people doing great work right now...

• 3 weeks later...

There has been some great cinematographers mentioned so far. I thought I'd throw a few names into the discussion. Robert Elswit and Robert Yeoman are two guys that have been around for a long time but alot of their best work has been done in the last ten years. RE (Boogie Nights, Magnolia, Punch Drunk Love, Good Night And Good Luck) RY (Bottle Rocket, The Royal Tenabaums, The Life Aquatic).

Of the newcomers I think two men who have a unique visual aesthetic are Benoit Debie (Irreversible, Calvaire, Innocence) and Ji-Yong Kim who shot the Korean film A Bittersweet Life which blew me away. Honorable mention has to go to Tim Orr who has shot all of David Gordan Greens Films and Benoit Delhomme who shot the French/Viatnamese film Cyclo, which changed my life....visually, that is.

Benoit Delhomme who shot the French/Viatnamese film Cyclo, which changed my life....visually, that is.

He's great - you should see Tsai Ming-liang's "What Time Is It There" which he shot also - but I don't think he's "new" at this point. Also his previous collaboration with Tran Anh Hung, "Scent Of Green Papaya" is very interesting in that an attempt to create the atmosphere of southern Vietnam totally in a French studio.

Before I went there I thought it didn't work but after I had been in Vietnam I was more impressed when I watched it again how they had created the feel - if not strict realism - of that intense light.

-Sam

I'd have to mention Changwei Gu, who shot Ju Dou and Farewell My Concubine. Ju Dou features some breathtaking shooting set inside a Chinese textile mill. Those who haven't seen it really should.

Also, Chris Soos has been turning out some great work in music videos.

I'd have to mention Changwei Gu, who shot Ju Dou and Farewell My Concubine. Ju Dou features some breathtaking shooting set inside a Chinese textile mill.

I was fortunate to see a Tech IB print of this, I hope some still exist.

-Sam

• 9 months later...
I think David Mullens is the best new cinematographer for being humble enough to offer all his knowledge in these forums.

Interesting question...where to begin?

I'd say Roger Deakins (especially for his work on "the village")

Emmanuel Lubezki ( for his extrodinary lyricism)

Rodrigo Prieto (for doing great job with small budgets)

Janusz Kaminski (for reinventing himself with each new picture)

I also love the work of Bruno Delbonell in Amelie and A Very Long Engagemant and Seresin's and Pratt's works on Harry Potter 3, and Harry Potter 4.

Oh, and Harris Savides for his work on Elephant, Birth and Last Days

This isn't going to be the most original post. Of the DP's who started shooting features within the last 10-15 years, these are some of the people who have had multiple successful films and have really impressed me. Are they the best? I don't know. How do you define best?

Janusz Kaminski

Rodrigo Prieto

Emmanuel Lubezki

Ellen Kuras

There are plenty more but these are the standouts. All of my posts have been pretty useless, but it passes the lonely time away on my computer. :D

Julian Whatley, D.P. "Forty Shades Of Blue". Did asst. cam. duty on "Seven", "The Game", to name a few. Do yourselves a favor and add this film to your Netflex qeue immediately. Google him and check out his website where you may see examples of his still photography.

And no one has put forth Eric Gautier, whose work can be seen on the screen in Patrice Chereau's "Gabrielle". He's working on Sean Penn's new film.

Mark Lee Ping-Bing. His work with Hou Hsaio Hsien. Masterful.

How about the evolution and of Agnes Godard, Claire Denis' primary D.P., and how her growth as a cinematographer has mirrored Denis' own growth into a fimmaker of considerable distinction. Their talents and achievements are inseperable. What a duo!

Ok, I can no longer accept Ken Kelsch being routinely overlooked. He's worked with Abel Ferrara for years, and his work perfectly compliments that filmmaker's blistering intensity and boldness. "Bad Lt."; "Snake Eyes" (Aka, "Dangerous Game"); "The Blowout"; "New Rose Hotel"; "The Funeral", the immediacy, the presence, the deep materiality of his work with with Ferrara is indication of a first-rate talent.

There is no "best in the world'. Impossible. What does Storraro know that Zigsmond doesn't? That Kovacs doesn't? That Willis doesn't? Who gets the gold medal in that group? And straight down the line- Prieto, Lubezki, Labatique, and on and on and on. Some of the newer ones aren't as battle tested as the old guard, but they got the chops, and they're already tearing up the field in significant ways. It's impossibly rich and full, this field of talent.

Edited by KJNY

• 2 weeks later...
Elect the best new cinematographer in the world .

The best new cinematographer means who shows a creative idea in these 10 or 15 years.

My choices are :

DARIUS KHONDJI

CHRISTOPHER DOYLE

RODRIGO PRIETO

DION BEEBE

SEAMUS MCGARVEY

ROGER PRATT

Be thanks for your consideration .

I like Mr. Khondji's work a lot ('SEven' especially) but my favourite DP has to be Mr. Doyle. He's just shot so many incredibly beautiful films (TOO many if you ask me!), ie. Happy Together, Ashes of Time, ITMFL, Rabbit-Proof Fence, chungking express & infernal affairs to name a few

e. wong