Suggestions for lighting this bathroom for a "David Fincher/Jeff Cronenweth" vibe.

Mike Kozlenko

Have to shoot a short little scene of a character brushing teeth, washing his face, going thru normal night routine. Suggestions on how to light this so it resembles Fincher's cinematic world a little bit? The greenish yellow tint that alot of his films have? I'm shooting 2.21 aspect ratio but the practicals might end up in a wide shot.

From outside the bathroom, I think I might have a tungsten kino from the ceiling that can give a slight dirty orange/yellow glow onto the bathroom door, and then I'd like to make the bathroom interior have more of a greenish tint. I'm sure negative fill might be my best friend in this bathroom. At my disposal, I have a Joker 800,4 ft Kino tubes, 1x1 Westcott Flex light, Quasar T12 tubes, and some smaller LED lights. And flags, a couple different diffusions, etc.. Any suggestions?

post-75833-0-10227600-1542146159_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member

Seems like the practical fixture already provides a nice semi-top soft key and could easily be timed for greenish-yellow, or use compact flos in it for some green. The only thing that would help make it moodier is to paint the room a darker tone.

You could consider removing the fixture or framing it out and putting a bare fluorescent tube above the mirror for a more industrial vibe.

• Upvote 1

Paint the ceiling black to reduce bounce and increase contrast?

You could also just use a floppy on a double gobo arm extension on a c stand right by the toilet bowl, the wall behind the shower should cover it (if you shoot in the direction we are currently looking). If this space would be bigger and less irregular shaped, you could use 2 autopoles and a very thin, light duvetyne. Whatever you do, the general approach in small places that should look as moody as Fincher likes it: every square inch that isnt in frame should be negatived.

Concerning the lamps: unless you really want to keep them as practicals, I would suggest not using them and maybe even using the Westcott 1 x 1, as it would be easy to put up there and often bathroom lights are quite small anyway. Ideally, you would use something a bit bigger though, like a Kinoflo 2 x 2 or even a 2 feet fourbank. That way, you could use a grid with it, which always helps reduce spill in these tiny spaces.

Paint the ceiling black to reduce bounce and increase contrast?

You could also just use a floppy on a double gobo arm extension on a c stand right by the toilet bowl,

A very cheap, quick, and temporary solution, which requires a minimum of rigging, is to use black disposable tablecloth of the type caterers use. A whole roll is only about $12, and it's so lightweight that you can hang it with just paper tape or thumbtacks.