Shakey image in viewfinder (Krasnogorsk-3)

NateMcDaniel

I recently aquired a K-3 that's been modified to super-16. It also has a Tobin crystal sync motor installed. However, whenever I run the camera at 24 fps or 12 fps (the only two speeds on the motor), the image in the viewfinder is quite jumpy and blurry. Could this be a problem caused by the recentering of the lens/mirror? Or perhaps the speed of the motor is off? All help is greatly appreciated.

• Premium Member

It sounds like the mirror is not spinning flat - quite an important pre-requisite for reflex mirror viewing. It's the lens port that is re-centred for Super 16, not the mirror, but maybe whoever did the conversion removed the mirror and put it back incorrectly, or the mirror shaft has been slightly bent?

A reflex mirror needs to spin perfectly flat, otherwise the image through the viewfinder will vibrate and seem blurry. If you look through the front with lens removed and at lowest speed you might be able to see if the reflection in the spinning mirror is shifting. It should be perfectly still.

That makes sense because I have noticed that the mirror is pretty loud when it spins. It makes a noticeable clacking sound. I'll take a look at it with the lens off like you said. Hopefully the mirror shaft isn't bent because that sounds like a complicated fix. Thanks for the information!