Death Proof (2007) - digitally shot?

Sandra Merkatz

Hello! :)

I recently bought the movie Death Proof (2007) on BluRay and watched it yesterday. Since I was interested in whether the film was digitally recorded or whether a real film reel was used for it, I went to Imdb to find out. Unfortunately I don't understand the technical data there. Maybe one of you can tell me whether the film was shot digitally or not?

Camera:
Arriflex 435 ES, Panavision Primo Lenses
Panavision Panaflex Millennium XL2, Panavision Primo Lenses
Panavision Panaflex Millennium, Panavision Primo Lenses

Negative Format:
35 mm (Fuji Eterna 500T 8573)

Cinematographic Process:
Digital Intermediate (2K) (master format)
Super 35 (3-perf) (source format)

Printed Film Format:
35 mm (Fuji)

Thanks for you help :)

Greetings,
Sandra

Edited by Sandra Merkatz

Thank you :)

I was unsecure because of things like "Digital Intermediate (2K) (master format)".

I´m not into all that stuff, I don´t know all those different systems, cameras, lenses, film stocks, etc., but I´m very interested, how a film was shot, and what kind of material they used.

For example, I found another modern movie that was shot with the "Red Weapon Dragon". I searched after it, and that is clearly a digital camera with no celluloid used.
But in this case (Death Proof) I was not sure!

Greetings,

Sandra

DI refers to the process of scanning film, editing digitally, then laser-printing out a film negative from which prints are made. It was prevalent from the late 1990s to the early 2010s. 2K refers to the resolution of the film-out process- 2000 lines.

Now most projection is digital it's rarely done, but whenever you see a reference to DI it means the picture was shot on film.

Edited by Mark Dunn