ARRI 435ES PAL/NTSC Compatibility

Ryan Dent

Hey all, I'm looking into buying an ARRI 435 and I have a quick question on any potential pitfalls of a PAL IVS system in an NTSC setting. I'm based in the US, but most of the systems I am finding that are at a good price and come with what I want all have a PAL IVS. My question is would there be any complications running a signal out of a PAL IVS system to an analog to SDI converter, then onto something like a SmallHD monitor? Also, are there any other potential issues that I'm overseeing on a setup like this? Any advice or enlightenment on this would be much appreciated. Thank you!

• Premium Member

There are some cheap boxes that will convert 625 to 525 as SDI (digital) but it might take two boxes or so to get the O/P you want. It would mean hanging them off the tripod or in a box with a power supply or strapping them to the back of a monitor. I think Black Magic might do such boxes.

I haven’t looked at the 435 closely enough to see how you strip out the existing IVS camera for a different format.

One of these days I intend to get around to taking a modern HD machine vision camera, fixing an HDMI card to it and mounting it on a 35 mm.

There are some cheap boxes that will convert 625 to 525 as SDI (digital) but it might take two boxes or so to get the O/P you want. It would mean hanging them off the tripod or in a box with a power supply or strapping them to the back of a monitor. I think Black Magic might do such boxes.

I haven’t looked at the 435 closely enough to see how you strip out the existing IVS camera for a different format.

One of these days I intend to get around to taking a modern HD machine vision camera, fixing an HDMI card to it and mounting it on a 35 mm.

Perfect, thanks for the info Jeremy.