Alexa + Lenses Set Up suggestions.

Hamlet Soto

Hey guys, experience RED shooter here and haven't shot with Alexa's much at all but I've been meaning to make the switch over the last year.

I have a project coming up and would like to make the switch here. My question is, say you had a descent budget for a 2 day project, what Alexa body + Lens set up would you go for. (I know this can be subjective but I'd like to hear your personal opinion/preference from past experience)

Like I mentioned we have an ok budget, but i'd like any suggestions in regards to what the best budget 4K set up would be. The set up that initially popped into my head was the Alexa Mini w/ Cooke | S4 /i's

Look forward to your feedbacks.

Thanks.

I just shot my last picture with Alexa mini. They are not a 4k camera. But, if you upres and record to 4k, I doubt anyone will be able to see the difference. I think the cameras can shoot 2.7k and maybe a little bit more in RAW recording, For our project, the data demands of RAW were just too much, and even 2.7K was too much as we released for cinemas in 2k. We were shooting with 2x anamorphic lenses so we could not use the full width of the sensor. With spherical lenses maybe you can use all 3.2k of the sensor.

But your's is just a 2 day shoot, so RAW data will not add up to so many TB :)

Sorry if my resolution numbers are not dead on accurate, but they should give you the idea...

• Premium Member

You can shoot 3.2K ProRes or 3.4K Open Gate raw. I think you can even internally uprez from 3.2K to UHD (3840 x 2160) ProRes but that's just more data to record.

We shoot 3.2K ProRes 4444 on "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" on Alexa Minis. The sensor area is a bit larger than 2.8K Super-35 so you have to check your lenses for vignetting.

• Upvote 1