Canon 814 XL-S - Only works at 18 fps

Hung Nguyen

I just bought a Canon 814 XL-S and noticed that even when I change the filming speed, from 9 to 16 to 24, it the motor sounds the same for all settings. I do not have film loaded. But when I press the SM button, the motor does crank much faster.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Am I on an incorrect setting?

Would appreciate any advice anyone has for me. Thank you in advance.

Edited by Hung Nguyen

Based on a recent experience, Andries is right. Bad contact in the selector switch. From what I can tell, it is fixed to the circuit board and cannot be disassembled. A little shot of contact cleaner may improve things a bit. This aspect of the camera is not well designed for servicing. The builders could not predict how some materials would perform after 40 years.

• 4 weeks later...

Have you tried (lightly) forcing the dial around, by pushing it up and down (sliding/shifting/moving it on the camera's side plane)? In my case, the dial was completely erratic but after doing this a bit, running the motor for some time, and letting the camera rest, it started working quite nicely. It still changes speed if I push the dial around, but if I select the speed and press it downwards, it works fine.