Beaulieu 4008 zmii charger

Matthew  Miele

I've just acquired a beautiful Beaulieu 4008 zmii with 2 batteries, but, unfortunately, no charger. So even if the batteries do work - which seems unlikely - I have no way to even charge it to test anything. I can't find any 4008 chargers for sale, but I have seen a couple chargers for the 6008 model that is also a 3.5mm mono jack like the 4008. I'm wondering if I could buy that and it could work for the 4008 as well? Everything is the same except for the mah rating on the chargers. The 4008 is 30ma and the 6008 is 50 ma. Do I run the risk of frying the battery or the internal circuitry of the camera by using the 6008 charger? They are both 7.2V. Any tips on solving this besides buying newer batteries right off the *ahem* batt?

Better not to experiment with charging batteries with unknown qualities inside the camera. Sometimes batteries inflate like a balloon when (over)charging and then it may crack the circuit board of your camera. When charging in-camera always use a correct charger. Even when it goes alright when using a modern adaptive charger the current may get too high and it will roast a resistor inside :(

When charging do this outside camera either using the Beaulieu charger container with a Beaulieu charger as this has the same circuitry or use a modern charger but connect it to centre-plus and the hull-minus of the battery housing.

• Premium Member

There are so many variable wall-wort power supplies out there I'm sure you could find one to match perfectly. Those batteries will almost certainly need to be re-celled and when you do it may require different ma. Good news is that the new batteries will last much longer than the old ones did when new.

Better no quick charging with batteries in the camera. It will fry a big resistor inside the camera.

Modern chargers at $10 already have adaptive circuits and put the turbo on when they sense the opportunity.

Who needs exposing capability for 30 cartridges when films cost $50 per piece :)

Edited by Andries Molenaar

There are so many variable wall-wort power supplies out there I'm sure you could find one to match perfectly. Those batteries will almost certainly need to be re-celled and when you do it may require different ma. Good news is that the new batteries will last much longer than the old ones did when new.

I have looked literally everywhere. I cannot find a charger that uses a 3.5mm male mono jack AND outputs only 30ma. Which is why I'm considering such a desperate measure as using a charger that is incompatible with my model. (I agree it's a questionable idea and y'all have basically talked me off the ledge). All modern chargers output way more mA because battery technology is so much better and can handle that nowadays. If someone can show me one, I would greatly appreciate it.

Or if someone has one they would let me borrow/rent just to see if the camera can work at all? (I would use it then mail it back to you-just a thought?) I just don't want to spend $100+ on a new battery just to find out that the camera itself doesn't even work y'know?

So, for anyone wondering, I simply called up Pro8mm, since they buy and rebuild the 4008s and re-sell them as their brand I figured they might have some chargers lying around that they don't use bc they put in different batts from the original and I assumed a different charger to charge those batts, and they did have one! so I bought it for $50. So I charged the one good battery I have and the camera *mostly* works, the zoom in and out (with some stiffness) aperture, meter and exposure works. It just doesn't seem to want to run the film :( I don't know if it's because I there's not enough juice in the batteries or a connection issue internally or at the film gate.

I assume everyone's recommendation would be to send it in to get it serviced? Does anyone have a ballpark of what that would cost? And, I'm sure I could find it somewhere on here, but if you're answering that question, whats the dudes name? email address I can send it to? Is it just the one guy in France?

Thanks Todd, I just found Du-all buried somewhere in here the other day and looked into them. Will email Bernie too. Having this done in the states is way more appealing than sending it all the way out to Sweden. Was hoping for a perfect scenario in which I could confirm everything on camera worked and then get batteries re-celled and start shooting, but, wishful thinking.

Dead battery. Get in touch with Bernie at Super 16 Inc, or Duall. Google is your friend.

You would probably ok with just buying a new battery from the guy in Canada on eBay, but the price of film now from when I started is much more expensive. You have one of the best, most servicable cameras, just invest a bit more and you'll be good to go for awhile.