Canon 814 XL-S: erratic film speed dial problem

Alessandro Lefebvre

Hello, I recently bought a Canon 814 XL-s that seems to be in mint condition externally. The only visible issue are the seals around the cartridge compartment that are ruined and falling off. But upon trying it out this problem arose:

Problem:

The film speed dial works erratically. Sometimes the motor will spin slow, sometimes medium, sometimes fast (about 0.5, 1.15 and 1.5 rounds per sec) independently of where the dial is pointing, but changing if I push it around by shifting it or pressing it lightly. The Slow-mo button always works, instead.

I still have to try other functionalities such as fades, preset bursts and changing the shutter angle.

I'm guessing it's just a problem with the selector's contacts... I've heard these are not so easy to reach, but then perhaps a little contact cleaner might be enough. I've only opened some Nizos, this seems a little more complex, and I found nothing online... Any ideas on how to reach these contacts, or about what else it could be? Thanks!

The opening is troublesome because most/all screws are behind rubbers or leatherette. You need to know where they are and to get access without wrecking the covers. It is impossible to get replacements as they would use in the days these cameras were new or current :) I have no experience opening these types of Canons.

Update

I found this Japanese repair guide for what seems to be my problem (or a similar one): http://www.nakanocam.com/8mm_page/canon1014xl-sfps.html

The disassembly does seem quite difficult, but most importantly I don't understand the most important part, i.e. what's wrong with the dial, and what to do to it's contacts in order to fix it!

Again, any idea would be greatly appreciated!

Update

Apparently if I push the speed dial downwards, it seems to spin at the correct speed. I will therefore not try to open it after all!

Here is another source on how to open the Canon 814 XL-S and 1014 XL-S, for future reference: http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Canon1014XL-S:_how_to_disassemble

Update

Apparently if I push the speed dial downwards, it seems to spin at the correct speed. I will therefore not try to open it after all!

Here is another source on how to open the Canon 814 XL-S and 1014 XL-S, for future reference: http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Canon1014XL-S:_how_to_disassemble

When rotating the dial or permanently when filming?

When rotating the dial or permanently when filming?

I push (slide, shift) it slightly downwards after rotating the dial to the wanted speed, and it seems to work fine. If, instead, I then push it upwards (before or when filming), it changes speed irregularly: sometimes keeps the wrong speed, sometimes goes back to the correct one.