How can I achieve the 'Death Proof' (old film 70s print) look photochemically?

Paul Bartok

Hi all, I was just wondering if you had any advice on how to achieve this "old 60-70s faded film print" look photochemically?

Particularly chasing the pastel colors and washed out highlights, while retaining those deep blacks.

(I know lenses, filters and lighting are important to the look however, I'm just asking from a film processing stand point)

large%20%20death%20proof%20%20blu-ray1.j

large%20%20death%20proof%20%20blu-ray3.j

large%20%20death%20proof%20%20blu-ray5.j

• Premium Member

Hmm. I spoke to Stephen Murphy a while ago about a music video he'd shot for a 70s look, which he underexposed and then push processed - a lot. I would worry that it would cost you the deep blacks you want, though.

I have other ideas (flash it blue but expose it very warm for a Kodachrome sort of look with blue shadows and yellow highlights) but you preferred photochemical approaches.

Thanks for the reply Phil. I'm thinking some combinations of Push/Pull might get us in the right direction like you mentioned Murphy used.

I'm intrigued by your idea:
"flash it blue but expose it very warm for a Kodachrome sort of look with blue shadows and yellow highlights"

Sorry for not understanding Phil but could you please explain the "expose very warm" part to me? Are you saying to push the reds in the print?