What happened to the forum?

Samuel Berger

• Premium Member

The old forum was pretty insecure and I'm sure it was a requirement to update for security reasons. I agree this new layout is poor. However, layouts are easy to change, right now it's on "everything is big" but that can be adjusted in either the admin preferences or the user preferences. 

Ha! You'll get used to it.

I agree this default layout is a bit, err, different. I liked the old design too, which is why I waited three years to finally update the software to the new version.

On the upside... It's way more secure and a lot faster. It works better on mobile devices, and has many new features that make it easier to use after a little practice.

• Upvote 1

Where do I put my hat? There used to be a peg on the wall, when I entered. Is this a door here (fumbles along wall, feeling for a latch or handle). No. At least there is a light glowing. Oh well I am sure we will work it out.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

The desktop version seems fine, but I wonder if there's a way of getting a more condensed list of unread material on a phone. Even with it set to collapsed mode, it's a bit chunky.

In general, though, I think we should thank Tim for his stalwart work. Administrating something like this tends to be something of a nightmare of settings files and server configuration and it's easy to start griping about changes. We'd all be griping a lot more if the whole thing collapsed under the weight of spam or other security issues.

"New Topics" list is back on the home page, Macks.

Speaking of "Filmvorführerforum", Simon, the old forum database could not deal with foreign character encoding. Any attempt at using an umlaut, accent, Latin letters, etc wouldn't work.  The new software is UTF-8 and can deal with that stuff.

It is a fair amount of work keeping the forums running, but it's not too bad. It's the stress of making sure it's always available that has given me gray hairs. To me those are two different things. Fortunately the more mature the software gets, the easier it is to maintain once the kinks are worked out. Rarely do I get the opportunity to go off-grid for more than a day or two though.

I'll see what I can do about the layout, Tyler and Phil. I'll be making adjustments this week to try different things.

• Like 1

Hello Gentleman!

Not sure if the update has moved some buttons around. I'm trying to update a Forum I created, but can't seem to find a way to do so.

Are you allowed to edit anything after you've posted it? Or do you need to create new Forums every time?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Best,
Adam

Hi, Adam,

Sustaining members have 24 hours to go back and edit a post. Basic members have a few minutes.

If you need to make a correction, best practice is to add a reply to your post with the updated information.

11 hours ago, Phil Rhodes said:

The desktop version seems fine, but I wonder if there's a way of getting a more condensed list of unread material on a phone. Even with it set to collapsed mode, it's a bit chunky.

Once you're logged in on your phone, click the three horizontal bars to the right above the Cinematography.com logo.

Then click Activity / Unread Content. (Save that as home-screen shortcut on your phone?)

Or have you tried that, Phil?

1 hour ago, Tim Tyler said:

Auto-double-spacing seems to be common practice in text editors these days like WordPress. I don't mind it.

If you use Shift-Return at the end of a line you can bypass it.

Fair enough. Is anyone else experiencing the notification bell not lighting up when a reply is posted in a followed thread?

Just making sure everything is covered.

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, Tim Tyler said:

Yep, sorry. Looks like that's a admin-only option.

I just added a "Remove Format" button. Hope that helps. It's the Tx to the right of the S button.

It looks like that button removes format from selected text, but doesn't actually compose the post in plain text. Here is how I got to this point. I quoted Tyler's post somewhere on this thread:

On his original post he had a link to a vimeo video and when I quoted him, I was unable to remove the video.

Highlighting the video and clicking remove format didn't affect it.

Now I just noticed that my hyperlink on this very post turned into a preview of the post I'm referencing. And there doesn't seem to be a way around that. Interesting. Again "remove format" doesn't work on it. Hm...

• Premium Member

So this is a test of what Tim said and it works! yeay! 

Paste as rich text initially, but allow user to paste as plain text instead. 
When rich text is pasted, a bar will appear at the bottom of the editor with a button to convert the pasted content to plain text. Users can also paste as plain text by using Ctrl + Shift + V in Google Chrome on Windows, or ⌥⇧⌘V in any browser on a Mac.