Cinema Products CP-16, beginning a project.

Tanner Martin

Well some people on this forum has been nice to answer my questions before so I'll share that info now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pc-9-6V-Custom-NiMH-2100mAh-Battery-for-Pk-6-Bare-Lead-NT8JY-Futaba-4NBL-BF-BP/272062528085?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649#shpCntId

And for those who are not DIY oriented, I'm going to have those batteries for sale soon, so they can just insert them in their camera and start shooting. It will include charger ?

If they agree to send the batteries your way try to get a few more. The point soldering is poorly done. I had to solder a few contacts because I was getting intermittent readings on the multi-meter, and a couple of batteries exploded in the process... I reordered and even when the seller is pretty close to my town it takes around a week to get the batteries in the mail.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Ruben Arce said:

I had to solder a few contacts because I was getting intermittent readings on the multi-meter, and a couple of batteries exploded in the process... 

Yikes! Yes soldering directly onto batteries is not a recommended practice, you should spot weld them or send them back to the seller.

I did it before and never had any problems, I guess I need a new soldering pencil too. I just got another set of batteries, I was almost done with the project and my design looks great and I'm sure it will perform well.

Technically I broke the seal the manufacturer had on the batteries so I lost the warranty. I saw some spot soldering machines for around $100 usd which is not bad at all, but they are heavy and bulky, so another set of batteries for now and I have some spare ones.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a temporary solution until I can save up enough money to buy some new cells (joys of being a college student). I bought a slightly larger than cell phone size power bank that I can clip on my belt. It has a wall outlet on it so I can just use the ac adapter I have. I've been looking at getting the cells from Duall camera's website

• 1 month later...

I have also added a section to my website detailing what I have discovered so far while tidying up my CP16.  It is a work in progress, depending on how I go with the rest of it.

http://canon-s8-repair.yolasite.com/cinema-products-cp-16r.php

It might help when others who get hold of a camera are looking for info.  The folks at Whitehouse Audio Visual are great!  Pity I am not closer, I would be able to get them to service it!

Cheers, Gareth