Fomapan 2x8 30.5m (100ft) reel/coil

Luigi Castellitto

Roger and Andries, it's 2x8, it should have a round hole compared to those for 16mm camera. Or not? 
I used it one year ago on the Bolex H8, which certainly doesn't have a square pinion. Or it have a hole with some adapters? I don't remember.

Edited by Luigi Castellitto

There is a 25ft regular8mm spool on eBay for $7.95.  I really don’t think there is a difference between 100 foot 16mm and regular8mm daylight spools.  I shot regular 8mm reversal and did not have it split; had it returned on a 16mm spool and was able to project it on a 16mm projector.  I’m thinking they’re the same spool.

I'll explain.
More than a year ago, I shot a film with this emulsion and lenght of film, and with a Bolex H8 Rex4.
The Bolex H8 Rex4 has round shafts, in fact I have 2 original Bolex daylight spools which are like this in photo attachment, with round holes (the photo is mine):
If you try to use a daylight spool with a square hole (like for 16mm cameras) on the Bolex H8, it enter, but it's unstable, vibrates.

Now there's the part I don't remember, and there are two possibilities:

1) I place directly the Fomapan R100 2x8 100ft daylight spool (in this case spool had a round hole or an adapter), it fit well, and the film passed on the take-up spool that I showed in the picture.
Being Double 8, then I shoted the other half of film. OK.

2) As the Fomapan R100 2x8 100ft daylight spool had the square hole, I wrapped up the film on the spool in the photo (in the dark, of course), and used it for feed spool. And I used another daylight spool with a round hole that I have, equal to the other in photo, for take-up spool.  
Again, obviously, then I shoted the other side. OK.

DSC00145.JPG

Well,  I have a specially modified Bolex that shoots a 2.8-1 image on 2x8mm film; it's not split and I show it on a specially modified 2.8-1 16mm projector.  I get my unsplit 2x8mm film back from the lab on the original daylight spool; which is a 100 foot 2x8mm daylight spool.  It does have square spindle holes in the spool.  I don't know why yours has round spindles/holes.  

I just looked at a Bolex H-8 online and they do have round camera spindles.  A friend of mine borrowed my Bolex UltraPan 8 Camera; so I can't look at it.  The daylight spool that I shot that 2x8mm Cinechrome does have square holes.

• Premium Member

Yes, because it’s a Double-Eight film camera. Spool spindles with square lugs are normal with 16-mm. and 35-mm. film equipment. The Double-Super 8 conversion comprised push-on square-to-round spindle adapters.

Simon, what other Double 8 cameras have the possibility of 50ft and up (100ft, etc.)? Including those that use external magazines.

However I think I have found the Fomapan 100 2x8 spool: it' with square hole, so I must have done the first pass on a round hole spool.

The Elmo Trifilmatic 300 DS-8 100ft has square hub-pins and Foma supplies DS-8 100 ft on spools with square holes.

The Elmo 8-TL has round pins with a knob in its 100ft magazine. The Elmo 100ft spool has square holes.

Edited by Andries Molenaar

Elmo 8-TL was very interesting, I didn't know it. The Trifilmatic yes, of course, particular machine.
I see in some photos of 8-TL, it has proper round spindles, with a knob to close the spool on site, but I can't see the specific Elmo spools out of the camera.

However, I imagine that Fomapan also provides the 2x8 of 100ft lenght to allow cuts and uses also in smaller cameras without 100ft feature, such as the classic daylight spools that all machines have.

Edited by Luigi Castellitto

• Premium Member

Double-Eight cameras of 50-ft. film capacity

• Kemco Homovie 16-8, not compatible with regular 8mm projectors, 1929-1931
  • GIC 8 (Groupement Industriel Cinématographique), 1949-1953
  • Pathé Lido 8, 1958
  • Fairchild Cinephonic Eight, 1960; takes 50 ft. of prestriped material, maybe 58 ft. of non-striped film

Double-Eight cameras of 100-ft. film capacity

• Paillard-Bolex H-8, 1938-1969
  • Pentaflex 8 with accessory magazine, not marketed, 1959

The Double Super 8mm camera conversions standardized by using the same 16mm spools with square keyed shafts; adapters were made to slip over the original shafts on the BOLEX H-8 conversions and others.  Actually,  a piece of good quality vinyl electrical tape on the round shafts will snug up the 16mm 100ft(30.5m) spools and works quite well.  This is a quick fix until you find the proper film spools.  Just mark the 16mm spools so you know which side is ONE and TWO.    I've used this tape method for years and it works fine.  Alternatively you might be able to make or have made shaft adapters via 3D printing.  Good luck.

Thanks for the advice (and for the interesting cameras list!), the one of the adhesive tape is also very useful.
Now, I have TWO 100ft daylight spools with a round hole available, so I should have no problems with my Bolex H8

However, I understood why the Fompan does not sell the R100 2x8 100ft format on a round hole spools: not all Double 8 cameras had a round hole for 100ft.

• 3 years later...
On 4/11/2019 at 5:55 AM, Luigi Castellitto said:

Someone has a photo of the reel/coil in which the Fomapan R100 2x8 30.5m (100ft) is usually contained?
I can't find it at home anymore, I don't remember how it's made, I needed it for a project.

Fomapan.jpg

r-100 ds8 100ft a.jpg

r-100 ds8 100ft b.jpg

• 1 year later...