Is a 2'x4 Kino fine for scissor clamping to the average drop ceiling?

Andy Zou

OP is the question, although I also am wondering if these drop ceilings in the attached picture work with scissor clamps?  I can't tell if the gap/space down the line is just cosmetic or functional, and these pictures are being sent to me.

ceiling.png

1. Is that a bathroom?

2. That isn't like any drop ceiling that I've ever seen, but I can't imagine that a scissor clamp would have a problem grabbing it. I would definitely bring a Cardellini as a backup if that's an option.

3. I have hung several kino fixtures (4'x2, Freestyle 21, Freestyle 31) from scissor clips with no problem. Make sure you properly attach a safety cable from the ceiling to the back of the fixture, just in case something gives.

Also, be sure that you use the remote cable for the ballast, as to not put the extra weight on the fixture. I usually clamp it along the drop ceiling track with 1"-2" grip clamps.

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Shane H said:

1. Is that a bathroom?

2. That isn't like any drop ceiling that I've ever seen, but I can't imagine that a scissor clamp would have a problem grabbing it. I would definitely bring a Cardellini as a backup if that's an option.

3. I have hung several kino fixtures (4'x2, Freestyle 21, Freestyle 31) from scissor clips with no problem. Make sure you properly attach a safety cable from the ceiling to the back of the fixture, just in case something gives.

Also, be sure that you use the remote cable for the ballast, as to not put the extra weight on the fixture. I usually clamp it along the drop ceiling track with 1"-2" grip clamps.

Good luck!

Yes, it is a bathroom.  I will pack some cardellinis just in case.

My experience hanging Kinos from scissor clamps is not good.  The weight of the Kino would torque the clamp, and it all felt pretty sketchy.

A safer alternative to scissor clamps when hanging heavy(ish) fixtures is to remove a ceiling tile and place a 12" piece of plywood, the same length as the width of the tile,  across the width of the opening.  Screw a baby plate into the plywood and you're good to go.  A safety cable to something solid is still an excellent idea.