Non Union AC offered Union Gig

Non Union AC here, been doing camera department for a couple of years. Definitely have the days to join 600 if I wanted to but still have not. That being said, I got offered to AC a Union Show. 

Can I still work this gig even though I am not in the Union? 

Thanks guys! 

You should at least get on the "industry experience roster"

https://www.csatf.org/rosters-lists/industry-experience-roster/

If you are on the roster you are eligible to work on a union project.  I believe if you work more than 29 days you will need to join the union, though you may want to join before that to begin to rack up your hours to receive union benefits.

You can be a union member, but if you are not on the roster, you will not be able to work with a union production.

• 5 months later...

I would like to hear more info about working a union shoot as someone who is non union but union eligible and just doesn't have the funds or an influx of union work to join currently.

Can someone who is non union work 14 days on a union shoot ( or any amount less than 29 days)

and not have to join the union? Are there any repercussions or hoops to jump through for doing so if production is ok with it?

What happens if you are not on the industry experience roster?

5 hours ago, Phil Rhodes said:

Isn't it really the production's problem more than yours?

Well, yes and no.  Way way back, before I was in the Union, and the Union was closed to new members, I would sometimes get hired on Union shows.  Once I worked on a couple famous shows, productions stopped asking if I was in the Union.  But, sometimes, there would be a snitch and production would be forced to terminate my employment.  I would have joined the Union, but it was closed at the time and was near impossible to join.

But the real issue, is that one is not on the Hollywood "Industry Experience Roster".  And this is now open to non union members who meet certain qualifications (each craft has their own rules though).  If you qualify, and that might mean working for 100 days in your classification within 3 years, and have proof of such work (checks/timecards/call sheets), then you can go to the "Contract Services Administration" (not a Union organization) and get on the Roster.  Then, you are eligible for Union work hire, but don't need to join the Union until you've worked 30 days.

Once you've worked 30 days, or just decide to join the Union (and you should!), then you will be responsible for the large initiation fee plus quarterly dues(about $1000/year), plus 1% of your Union earnings as dues.  The Union has payment plans for the large initiation fees so you will not need thousands of dollars up front.

The bottom line though is, if you're not on the Roster, you are not eligible for hire on a Union contracted show.

And to maintain one's Roster status, you'll be required to take many on-line safety courses as well.  So, it's best to start this process now if you want to work on Union contracts.  I don't believe there is a fee to join the Roster.

33 minutes ago, Bruce Greene said:

Once you've worked 30 days, or just decide to join the Union (and you should!), then you will be responsible for the large initiation fee plus quarterly dues(about $1000/year), plus 1% of your Union earnings as dues.  The Union has payment plans for the large initiation fees so you will not need thousands of dollars up front.

I don't believe there is a fee to join the Roster.

Thousands of dollars to join. Around $1000 per year in dues. 1% of your earnings. As the old joke goes, you can't spell MAFIA without IA...

There is no fee to join the roster, but it can take weeks or even months to get your days approved, so don't leave it until the last minute. 

• Upvote 1