Chernobyl (2019) - HBO miniseries

On 6/2/2019 at 10:31 PM, Bob Speziale said:

Yes, I'm enjoying it. The final episode is tomorrow.

Enjoying it is the wrong word in my case. Its excellent and a pretty stressful watch. Had to pause it a few times to collect myself.

Its great writing of course and dour production design and gloomy cinematography, just nail it building the oppressive atmosphere. 

Its the best kind of production, really serving the story without pushing too many visual or narrative tricks to make it more exciting/cinematic.

I was impressed with long take during the "human robots" sequence on the roof- really worked. I can find that long takes can be a bit of a show off, technical excises... oooh look how clever we are in our bold staging....  But this really wasn't that - camerawork that really served the story

It’s an excellent, must to see show. It feels like a docudrama because it’s very well designed (with great use of real locations to mimic the Chernobyl area) and so well written that everything seems to be 100% real and thus, even more terrifying. The cast is great, with Jared Harris as an standout in a great role. It’s well directed and shot, but the success comes from the concept of the series and its lack of sensationalism or sentimentalism in its approach to the story. Too bad it won’t get a limited theatrical release, this belongs to the big screen!

It finished . 
Another viewing is in order... after learning all the things leading to the disaster.

This got me very interested on the subject so i kept watching like addicted
on YT: nuclear reactors, their start-up, MIT's reactor, how nuclear fuel is made, disposal etc...

After commenting on YT's "How it's made : Nuclear fuel rods" video with
"Chernobyl (2019) brought me here" i got couple of replies"Same here!".

Hot topic. ?

So hot, that FLIR made and published a video featuring their radioactivity measuring devices used in a
trip from Kiev to the exclusion zone in Chernobyl and doing various measurements on different places.

Now that's marketing!

At the check point to the exclusion zone i saw and confirmed later also on the Chernobyl-Tour website
there is a Information/Souvenir kiosk. 
I was WTF?!? (Pardon my language)

1514289947_img_20170814_181127.jpg?fbcli

A few years ago I saw a documentary on old people who refused to evacuate from Chernobyl, who were still alive and doing well. One of the side effects of the contamination was that vegetables were unusually large. I'm surprised there was no mention of these hardy survivors.

22 hours ago, Igor Trajkovski said:

It finished . 
Another viewing is in order... after learning all the things leading to the disaster.

This got me very interested on the subject so i kept watching like addicted
on YT: nuclear reactors, their start-up, MIT's reactor, how nuclear fuel is made, disposal etc...

After commenting on YT's "How it's made : Nuclear fuel rods" video with
"Chernobyl (2019) brought me here" i got couple of replies"Same here!".

Hot topic. ?

So hot, that FLIR made and published a video featuring their radioactivity measuring devices used in a
trip from Kiev to the exclusion zone in Chernobyl and doing various measurements on different places.

Now that's marketing!

At the check point to the exclusion zone i saw and confirmed later also on the Chernobyl-Tour website
there is a Information/Souvenir kiosk. 
I was WTF?!? (Pardon my language)

1514289947_img_20170814_181127.jpg?fbcli

Watched the video and it's reassuring to know that in Kiev, where I spent 5 months last year, the background radiation is near normal. ?

But, I don't know about the food and how much contamination it may have contained...

BTW, I was never tempted to take the tour of the forbidden zone, but I did go to the little Chernobyl museum in Kiev ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Another HBO production. That means there is naked skin and brutal/bloody scenes.

I'll look up Imdb and read:

Full male frontal and rear nudity. Workers (miners) have removed their clothing due to heat and lack of air conditioning. Many male genitals and butts visible for a few minutes in one scene.

dogs are shot and killed (on and off camera)

Men begin to vomit blood and get radiation burns on their faces, blood patches also soak through their white uniforms as their skin ruptures.

If someone likes to watch animals being shot, or to look at naked men, then this series is definitely interesting.

For my part, I have been avoiding HBO ever since they showed that horrible "Game of Thrones".

Greetings,
Sandra