Sigma's new pocket cam...FF

"Pocketable."  Full Frame.  L-mount.  370 grams.  Dustproof, splash-proof, and with a large heat sink for long continuous shooting.   

24p 4K,  12-bit CinemaDNG RAW.  From the start, the list of specs for the new fp camera from Sigma is very exciting for filmmakers who want a small camera capable of big images.

From 'No Film School' email.

• Premium Member

But no professional (BNC) connection point for the external raw recording. That seems almost odd considering how en pointe Sigma have been with speccing and approaching their cinema lenses thus far.

I LOVE the idea of this as a Director's Viewfinder though. Any and all formats would be doable, spherical or anamorphic.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

Everyone has the specs wrong. 

It DOES NOT DO CINEMA DNG INTERNALLY! Everyone is reporting that, but on Sigma's own website it clearly says "external cinema dng recording" and then at the bottom of the page it says "with future software update". 

The camera records .h264 only, not .h265 like the GH5, so I don't know they're doing i-Frame, so I think that statement is a lie as well. It also states it only does 8 bit internally. 

So yea, nothing special here, move along, move along. 

10 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

Everyone has the specs wrong. 

It DOES NOT DO CINEMA DNG INTERNALLY! Everyone is reporting that, but on Sigma's own website it clearly says "external cinema dng recording" and then at the bottom of the page it says "with future software update". 

The camera records .h264 only, not .h265 like the GH5, so I don't know they're doing i-Frame, so I think that statement is a lie as well. It also states it only does 8 bit internally. 

So yea, nothing special here, move along, move along. 

I like because of size. But who know how long it will run on its little battery. Once you add all the add-on crap it loses size benefit. I like candid work, so size is an issue for me.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

7 hours ago, Robin R Probyn said:

Rubbish video.. its just the same shot over and over again.. with each edit being less than a second.. you cant see any details at all..   not a good sign if they have anything to actually boast about .. love their cine lenses though..

Well, lots of ADD, so they have to go quick. 

Also promoted as a still cam. 

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2019/07/11/new-sigma-fp-worlds-smallest-full-frame-mirrorless-camera/

Too mad no easy to use manual controls for still photos.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Daniel D. Teoli Jr. said:

I like because of size. But who know how long it will run on its little battery. Once you add all the add-on crap it loses size benefit. I like candid work, so size is an issue for me.

The A7SMKIII is very small. Plus it can literally see in the dark. 

10 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

The A7SMKIII is very small. Plus it can literally see in the dark. 

A7S III not out yet .. the rumors have been swirling for years though ? .. but the A7III is out and very good for video.. Ive used it on a gimbal at ISO10,000.. 24p /1/50th shutter and it was totally fine .. also at last , it has the new bigger battery same as the A9 flagship... the small batts were always the Achilles heel of Sony mirrorless for video work anyway.. the bigger batts you can shoot for hours..  yeah Im also not sure what sigma are going for here.. if the raw is EXT and not even there yet.. and internal is 8 bit 264.. between Sony A7 series  and the GH5 .. BMPC .. thats already a very crowded market .. and the gh5 is 10 bit ..if thats really important to the buyer.. 

From the comments in another forum ..

You are assuming / hoping "internally" ... that is not stated anywhere. Support for Atomos products are likely where you will be recording to. Also note, this uses SD media ....WTF .... you will NOT be recording 12 bit CinemaDNG raw internally on SD cards ... C-DNG codec is old and bloated and inefficient ... it's why Blackmagic stopped using it and developed BRAW ... not to mention Adobe charges for C-DNG licenses ... i don't see the excitement here .... you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter .... maybe that is what the excitement is all about ... it's sparkly

• Premium Member
48 minutes ago, Daniel D. Teoli Jr. said:

How is that? Does it have infrared capabilities? 

No, but it's the most sensitive consumer level camera on the market. Moonlight is good enough to capture a stellar image. 

4 hours ago, Daniel D. Teoli Jr. said:

How is that? Does it have infrared capabilities? 

Less pixels but big ones on a FF sensor .. A7s 12.2 megapixels .. A7r 42.4 on the same size sensor ..

Edited by Robin R Probyn

16 hours ago, Robin R Probyn said:

Less pixels but big ones on a FF sensor .. A7s 12.2 megapixels .. A7r 42.4 on the same size sensor ..

That wont see in the dark. More of a figure of speech. But if it works with moonlight only, then that is impressive.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

1 hour ago, Daniel D. Teoli Jr. said:

That wont see in the dark. More of a figure of speech. But if it works with moonlight only, then that is impressive.

If you go on line you can see early examples ,when the camera first came out..of it literally seeing in the dark.. up to 400,000 ISO.. with noise but usable images ..  

Edited by Robin R Probyn