Shutter "smearing" on CP-16R?

Bailey Trivett

Hello all, 

I had finally gotten around to testing out my CP-16R a few weeks ago in New York (I rented a lens from Du-All near 34th street, great shop). Once I got the telecine back from the lab I had noticed a few unfortunate features that I had previously ran into with my late K-3. As you can see in the footage below, the mirror is out of sync with the shutter in some frames. This only seems to happen very seldom but in random intervals after turning the camera on (i.e. you cannot pinpoint an exact time after running the camera it happens at). This is my first time spooling and using this camera so it may be an error in the loading process. In addition, the clutch belt was also recently replaced by me although I don't believe that would cause the problem. There's also a noticeable amount of unsteadiness when the film runs through the gate as I had left in a steady shot of a pillar. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated and thanks in advance. 

Test video:

Edited by Bailey Trivett
Edited due to faulty video link.

• Premium Member

The image is falling downwards meaning the film was pulled upwards in the camera or back by a too tight upper loop as I assume. Load some dummy stock and observe it run in the open camera at various loop sizes.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2019 at 2:07 AM, Simon Wyss said:

The image is falling downwards meaning the film was pulled upwards in the camera or back by a too tight upper loop as I assume. Load some dummy stock and observe it run in the open camera at various loop sizes.

I will give that a shot. Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

It is likely you have a short loop. The linked clip is not the be all and end all of how to manage the CP16R but the methods worked for me. There are also some other clips on managing the CP16. After film has been loaded in the CP16 for a while, the upper loop bend and the tight bends around the drive sprocket rollers and the infeed roller become shape-memorised by the film. The signature starting sound of the CP16 may be a smooth run for half a second, then a soft momentary clatter, then two soft momentary clatters and sometimes rarely a third as shape-memory bends momentarily lift the pressure plate which chatters as the claw pulls the film through. If the clattering is continuous, you need to reform the loop. You should only experience this if the film has been in the camera for a long period and even then very rarely. The lower loop on its progression should be almost brushing the black felt acoustic insulation in the bottom of the camera body and barely touching the fixed guide stud below the gate for the loop to be correct. Enjoy your camera. Properly set up and maintained, despite all manner of rumours and folklore to the contrary, the CP16 film transport will pass a double-exposure test as well as a pin-registered 16mm camera. 

Edited by Robert Hart
errors