Focus Problem PLEASE HELP

Marty Stano

Hi OK,

I have a DVX100a and I've been shooting with it for about 4 months and I haven't had a problem with it until now. Last weekend I shot a wedding in 30p and it was generally low light conditions and i was unable to pull a good focus. I would zoom all the way or nearly all the way in (Z90-99) on my subject pull the focus and then when I went to zoom out, the focus blurred dramatically. This happened even outside in daylight. Then, I shot a student video a few days ago in 24A and I ran into the same problem with sufficient light. I'd zoom in and focus and when i pulled out it went dramatically out of focus. At one point, I couldn't even pull a focus at all. My image was blurred when I was zoomed all the way out (Z0). The funny thing is: typically (i think) when your zoomed out wide (Z0) the focus is fine at (MF90-99), but at this focus my image with the subjects at least 6ft away, was closest to being in focus at MACRO MF0. I have no idea what's happening. My focus for subjects more than 6ft away comes in best with MACRO focus of MF0-35. Oh and just in case this info is necessary for assement at the wedding reception, the f-stop was OPEN but i still had this problem on the set of my student film with the aperature at f-6 or more.

PLEASE HELP- THIS IS SO STRANGE.

THANKS.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it sounds like you need to take the camera in for service - those problems seem severe. And since there is no way for you to adjust the backfocus on the lens, I think you need to have a technician take a look at it. I've had some similar problems in the past, but not to the degree you are talking about & a trip to the service center was all that could help. Good luck.

Lisa

• 1 year later...

I?m starting to see that as a reoccurring problem with the VX 100 A. The manual focus which is supposed to set a depth of field 1/3 in front 2/3 behind the subject actually is almost 100% behind the subject. I shot yesterday and I think that happened several times. I check out a camera at a rental house last week and saw this effect with a different camera. I think when you are wide you need to pull the focus closer until the back ground starts to go. I think this is a flaw in the camera system.

I'd love to hear if other folks are seeing this [problem in manual zoom on the wide end.

• Premium Member
Hi OK,

I have a DVX100a and I've been shooting with it for about 4 months and I haven't had a problem with it until now. Last weekend I shot a wedding in 30p and it was generally low light conditions and i was unable to pull a good focus. I would zoom all the way or nearly all the way in (Z90-99) on my subject pull the focus and then when I went to zoom out, the focus blurred dramatically. This happened even outside in daylight. Then, I shot a student video a few days ago in 24A and I ran into the same problem with sufficient light. I'd zoom in and focus and when i pulled out it went dramatically out of focus. At one point, I couldn't even pull a focus at all. My image was blurred when I was zoomed all the way out (Z0). The funny thing is: typically (i think) when your zoomed out wide (Z0) the focus is fine at (MF90-99), but at this focus my image with the subjects at least 6ft away, was closest to being in focus at MACRO MF0. I have no idea what's happening. My focus for subjects more than 6ft away comes in best with MACRO focus of MF0-35. Oh and just in case this info is necessary for assement at the wedding reception, the f-stop was OPEN but i still had this problem on the set of my student film with the aperature at f-6 or more.

PLEASE HELP- THIS IS SO STRANGE.

THANKS.

Hi,

Remember the camera does not have a zoom lens (with back focus adjustment) but a vari-focal lens. The lens has to be refocused (by software) as you 'Zoom' it's an engineering set up that needs to be re-set.

Stephen

I have a DVX-100A (Pal), sometimes it looks like focus ist breathing a tiny little bit without touching anything (autofocus off). When I do fast zooms it takes maybe two or three frames to get in focus again, I always thought it's a matter of lensdesign with this cheap prosumer lenses that have servofocus, but I'm not an expert, no idea if thats the point...

cheers, Bernhard

Edited by Bernhard Zitz

• 1 month later...
I?m starting to see that as a reoccurring problem with the VX 100 A. The manual focus which is supposed to set a depth of field 1/3 in front 2/3 behind the subject actually is almost 100% behind the subject. I shot yesterday and I think that happened several times. I check out a camera at a rental house last week and saw this effect with a different camera. I think when you are wide you need to pull the focus closer until the back ground starts to go. I think this is a flaw in the camera system.

I'd love to hear if other folks are seeing this [problem in manual zoom on the wide end.

it sure is a flaw, bob. and looks like it runs in the ag dvx 102 family too ! some six months back i was shooting trucks and i had out-rigged the camera on an elaborate truss system ( a la, bob richardsons' tigerland !) which gave me a menacing 3/4 angle on the left front wheel+cab. i screwed on a w/a conversion lens, engaged the 1/64 nd, set the exposure, put it on auto focus and told the driver to floor it on the circular test track. but what i got was all out of focus, especially the wheel in the fg. later i reshot the whole thing on manual focus mode and it worked fine this time.

from what i understood, it looks like the lens on af mode needs a few frames( or, a few seconds) every time to get its act together. but with the truck travelling in circles at high speeds, the optics experiences what i call a condition of 'continuous bewilderment', what with the constant new deals in terms of staging/blocking happening all around it and so loses focus literally!

rajkumar