What DVD's have good commentary from the DP?

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

• 5 months later...
Posted (edited)

Watched a couple of oldies, 'Twister' (1996) and 'The Perfect Storm.' (2000) Blu-ray versions both had great commentaries, especially about the special effects.  Highly recommended. You can get them from your library if you don't have them in your collection. 

Sidenote...They are coming out with a redo of 'Twister' called 'Twisters' in 2024.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

The Spy Who Came in From the Cold  (1965) Black & White

The Criterion Collection Double-Disc Set features a commentary by DP Ozzie Morris that accentuates the "WHY" (rather than "HOW"), for quite a few scenes of the movie.  Mr. Morris also photographed in B&W:  "Lolita" (original), and "The Hill." (with Sean Connery in a non James Bond role).    ("The Hill" is one of my favorite films).

Two interviews with author John Le Carre highlight childhood, and college memories of his time before entering the "spy world" with cameos by former East German and Soviet spymasters etc.

Also included: really fine pre-production drawings.

There is more... check it out.

• Like 1

Ordered 'The Spy Who Came in From the Cold' (1965) and 'The Hill' (1965) from the library.

'The Hill' sounds interesting...

Set in the Libyan Desert during World War II, British soldiers on the brink of collapse push beyond endurance to struggle up "The Hill," a manmade instrument of torture--a tower of sand seared by a white-hot sun, in this military prison drama.

I generally can get about 98% of what I want from the intrastate library loan system. Some odd films are hit and miss. Was looking for 'The Unbelievable Truth' but it was a no go.