A Hidden Life / Malick / Jörg Widmer

9 hours ago, Philip Reinhold said:

but this is evanglism from your side btw. however… i do care on the choice of formats and i do respect the choices of others. But i don´t like when people do "anti" film propaganda… cause this ends in dump discussions with producers… just to remember, thats what i wrote:  "not saying that this trailer does look terrible but i got distracted by the look. And i loved wide-angled shots chivo does on the prior mallick movies." just means that i got distracted by the look -. thats what the look does to me however what it was shot on.

I do personally like all mediums digital & film and i use mainly the alexa for tvc/advertising work. But i still see many reason for both formats film & digital nowadays 2019. And I can´t understand why people propaganda digital as be as same as film…or saying that there isn´ßt any difference (what you clearly said above) there is still a differnce and i can tell you from many many telecine & grading sessions.

Also a reason why many cinemato and photographers still use film. And no i am not a  Film Fanboy… But saying there is no difference isn´t the truth. And yes its a CInematographers Forum we still should discuss about that!  But enough for now… sorry for getting this out of Topic. 

No it's not.. Im not anti film..  Ive said a few times already I love film.. you can read I said this about 4 times already ..  the blinkered idea is just dismissing a while film as "ruined" by being shot in Digital ..   that's my gripe ..

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Robin R Probyn said:

No it's not.. Im not anti film..  Ive said a few times already I love film.. you can read I said this about 4 times already ..  the blinkered idea is just dismissing a while film as "ruined" by being shot in Digital ..   that's my gripe ..

Robin, the initial post has no reference to a film being "ruined" because it was shot digital. People have commented that the trailer looks video-ish and cheap but that is not a comment about the quality of the story. Nobody has dismissed the film. How can they, nobody has seen it yet. Forgive me but you often get very agitated about things that are not actually being said.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Uli Meyer said:

Robin, the initial post has no reference to a film being "ruined" because it was shot digital. People have commented that the trailer looks video-ish and cheap but that is not a comment about the quality of the story. Nobody has dismissed the film. How can they, nobody has seen it yet. Forgive me but you often get very agitated about things that are not actually being said.

Here it is from Manu ..  .."Perhaps but if the film itself doesn't look visually appealing, that's all it takes."... (to not go and see it ).. this is what I mean exactly .. write off the film if it doesn't look good .. in this case because its shot digitally and looks "cheap" I believe was the term..    again I rest my case your honor.. and to my learned colleague across the court.. please verify and fact check your claims sir..

Often very agitated .,.. ?.. I haven't made many posts at all considering the time Ive been on this forum ..I have had to defend the Sony f5/55 more than a few times due to people having no idea what they are talking about re these cameras and the codec ..  but apart from that I believe Ive been pretty mellow.. you have some examples.. Im intrigued .. have malignant forces hacked my account.. while I have relaxing by the pool with a G&T.. please enlighten ..

Edited by Robin R Probyn

I'll stand by that. If a film looks really visually unappealing, it personally makes me really icky on the prospect of seeing it. And it's NOT because it's shot digitally. All my favorite films are shot on film, not a coincidence but I also love numerous films shot digitally even though there's not one time watching those where I don't think "god, would look so much better on film". That's just me. 

But Robin, it's not the first time you praise digital like that, it does feel sometimes that you like digital better than film and that's fine. 

1 hour ago, Manu Delpech said:

I'll stand by that. If a film looks really visually unappealing, it personally makes me really icky on the prospect of seeing it. And it's NOT because it's shot digitally. All my favorite films are shot on film, not a coincidence but I also love numerous films shot digitally even though there's not one time watching those where I don't think "god, would look so much better on film". That's just me. 

But Robin, it's not the first time you praise digital like that, it does feel sometimes that you like digital better than film and that's fine. 

No really I don't .. Ive never even been close to saying that.. in fact totally the opposite .. just to totally dispel that.. obviously I didn't get the point over.. thats the whole thing.. I think BOTH  are fine, fantastic .... totally agnostic .. but yes I do believe digital can look every bit as good as film.. and yes hate to go on about it .. but Roger Deakins has displayed this many times.. I use his name as basically he is one of the best DP,s in the world and thats its very very hard to refute he has made amazing images in both mediums.. and that he lights them the same .. Im not praising digital,.. show one example .. but to say its inherently inferior I just cant let that go by without  some argument ...

• 5 months later...

Prefix this with my feeling that I love celuloid and am sad that the world is over-run with digital tech...

Just saw A Hidden Life on my computer monitor. Honestly, I didn't realize it was Malick. I have seen a couple of his films, and really admired The New World, but I thought A Hidden Life  was made by someone influenced by Malick.

In Tree of Life the religeosity gets in the way of the simple, direct, experiential spirituality. Well, a little bit, but he gets past it. In A Hidden Life I think he is more in tune, with a striated narrative, allowing some poetry to dominate or lead. The spirituality is given better context and forms to express itself. Less hampered by what I assume are Malick's religeous philosophies. So well done Terence M.

Most interesting thing I have seen in a long time. A bit stretched, but never flabby...

• Premium Member

huge Mallick fan.....Tree of Life is a masterpiece.......disappointed he shot this one in digital though........I love digital for sports and nature/wildlife programmes.......not films.......the more the top directors choose film the longer it exists and the easier it is for nobodies like me get option of buying film to shoot....

Its great for the big guns that can get to use Arri Alexa's etc but us at the bottom of the barrel will be forced to use Sonys and Canons and Fujifilm cameras and all that....come on....youtube....it looks like 99% of the 3 billion videos on it or whatever were shot by the same person on the same camera.....as David Bailey said of digital...."it's visual communism" hahaha

when the jump cuts became fashion I was like what the hell is going on.....

Edited by Stephen Perera
  • Like 1