Fashion/Hair Commercials

David Ishida

• 3 months later...

Looks great, did you use any sort of filtration or did you just shoot it clean? 

I would have gone heavier if you did use filtration, probably like a 1/2 hollywood black magic or a full white BPM to soften out the skin and give the highlights a little more bloom, making them a bit easier on the eyes, or I would have opted for an Angeniuex lens to make those beauty shots really pop. 

Obviously, the skin tone for the African-american girl is not right, too much green, but as you said, you didn't have control over that aspect. I still think it may have been avoided with the proper choice of lighting. May I ask - did you use LEDs or Tungsten for her keylight? If you used LED I would definitely think that may have something to do with it as darker skin has a tendency to reflect green a lot and when using LEDs, they tend to shift a little more towards the human working visible spectrum, which is green heavy. (The lower quality brands tend to shift even more in this direction.) Whereas a tungsten lamp, being full spectrum, will reflect the skin accurately, and especially with darker skin tones. If you did use tungsten, did you have any negative fill to block stray light from other sources of bounce, like perhaps a green screen on the other side of the studio or a setwall that may have had stray light on it, as these will sometimes reflect enough onto darker skin that it will reflect on the spectral highlights of their skin. 

The short with the Asian girl is great, her lighting and light direction really compliment her facial structure and makes her hair look really nice. 

Overall great job! Just being picky haha

• Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 10:00 PM, Alexander H Davis said:

Looks great, did you use any sort of filtration or did you just shoot it clean? 

I would have gone heavier if you did use filtration, probably like a 1/2 hollywood black magic or a full white BPM to soften out the skin and give the highlights a little more bloom, making them a bit easier on the eyes, or I would have opted for an Angeniuex lens to make those beauty shots really pop. 

Obviously, the skin tone for the African-american girl is not right, too much green, but as you said, you didn't have control over that aspect. I still think it may have been avoided with the proper choice of lighting. May I ask - did you use LEDs or Tungsten for her keylight? If you used LED I would definitely think that may have something to do with it as darker skin has a tendency to reflect green a lot and when using LEDs, they tend to shift a little more towards the human working visible spectrum, which is green heavy. (The lower quality brands tend to shift even more in this direction.) Whereas a tungsten lamp, being full spectrum, will reflect the skin accurately, and especially with darker skin tones. If you did use tungsten, did you have any negative fill to block stray light from other sources of bounce, like perhaps a green screen on the other side of the studio or a setwall that may have had stray light on it, as these will sometimes reflect enough onto darker skin that it will reflect on the spectral highlights of their skin. 

The short with the Asian girl is great, her lighting and light direction really compliment her facial structure and makes her hair look really nice. 

Overall great job! Just being picky haha

Thank you very much Alexander!   I really appreciate all of your comments!   

To answer some of your questions, It was clean filtration, using a RED Scarlet-W.   Excellent point with the filtration ideas.  It was shot on Canon CN-E primes and a Zeiss 50mm macro.

For lighting, it was a Skypanel S60 for key light, tuned to tungsten.  A floppy for negative fill, a pancake LED as a topper, and then a couple S4s for hair/back edge light.   Aveda really likes the hair to pop.   

And if I may ask you a few other questions.

-What are the qualities of Angeniuex lenses that you think make beauty shots pop?

-Does dialing back the green in the Skypanel help with the green skin tone issue you discussed?  Or is there something deeper, inherent in the LEDs that there isn't much you can do about?  And the pancake LED, I don't remember what brand that was, but it is a thin flex panel style so there may be a large quality difference between that and the Skypanel.

Thank you again for all your comments!

DI